American Airlines will now rebook passengers who miss flights by a few minutes at no additional cost
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Earlier this week, American Airlines made a change to its policy that will allow agents to rebook customers who arrive at the airport just a little too late onto the next available flight at no additional cost.
As reported by View From the Wing, if a passenger arrives after the check-in cutoff time (typically 45 minutes for domestic flights) but within 15 minutes of their flight departing, American can rebook them on the next flight that has a seat for no cost to the passenger.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
According to the rules of this new policy, the destination must stay the same, but agents can send a passenger to a “co-terminal,” meaning someone traveling to New York, for example, could be put on a flight that arrives at either Kennedy or LaGuardia airports. Also, the agents can re-route a passenger through a different hub if they’re making a connection.
But, an agent can’t overbook a flight to accommodate a passenger who just barely missed their original flight. The rebooked flight must have seats available for sale.
Note this policy change only applies to those passengers who arrive within the check-in window and within 15 minutes of their original flight departing. If they arrive after the 15 minute-window, American’s current standby policy applies.
Speaking of standby, AA made a customer-friendly change last year by eliminating standby fees for all passengers. Before that, passengers who did not have elite status were charged a $75 fee to fly standby on an earlier flight, but now that perk is available to all for no cost.
Featured photo by John Nacion/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees