5 Things I Love About Iceland
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The verdict is in: I love Iceland. The fact that I can visit a place with freezing temperatures in the dead of winter and still be impressed means something — this is a special place. After a trip here earlier this year, I realized that Iceland is not only amazing in summer (I also visited in July 2013), but in the winter as well.
I booked a tour through Iceland Luxury Tours, and though it wasn’t cheap, it was an incredible experience and well worth it because they did all the grunt work of organizing. Our guide, Geiri, was amazing. (You can hire him via Activity Iceland.)
Here are just a few of the reasons I’ve fallen in love with this country.
1. You Can Be Outdoorsy in Winter
There are so many outdoor activities to do in Iceland, even in its frigid winter. Some of my favorites included snowmobiling on glacier sand and riding ATVs on black-sand beaches and icy rivers. (Summer activities I enjoyed during a previous trip included horseback riding and hiking.) Of course, the Blue Lagoon can be visited year-round, but it’s especially relaxing in winter, when you really appreciate warming up.
2. You Can Get Your #AvGeek On
Back in 1973, a US Navy Douglas Super DC-3 had to make an emergency landing on Sólheimasandur beach. Everyone aboard survived, but the aircraft remains abandoned. The wreckage, standing out against the desolate landscape, is a sight to see, especially for a plane geek like myself.
3. Unreal Landscapes
Glaciers to my right and the crashing ocean to my left — now that’s what I call epic scenery! Black beaches, the Blue Lagoon, bones of sperm whales, waterfalls, mountains covered in ice … Iceland is just one Instagrammable shot after another. Even if outdoor activities aren’t your thing, the country is incredible for anyone who loves photography or simply enjoys stunning scenery. Seeing the country in a helicopter is one of the best rides I’ve ever taken!
4. The Northern Lights Are Worthy of Your Bucket List
I’d been wanting to see the northern lights my whole life, and they were everything I’d hoped they’d be. They’re what happens when charged particles from the sun crash into the Earth’s magnetosphere, lighting up gases in our atmosphere and wreathing the night sky in ribbons of colored light that are otherworldly and hauntingly beautiful. This is something everyone should view at least once in their lives, and I feel so lucky I was able to cross them off my own bucket list. It was worth braving the winter elements, that’s for sure.
Kicking off 2018 surrounded by love and (northern) light. PS never underestimate Mother Nature- the Northern Lights app had this evening’s chances of seeing the lights at 1/10, yet we pulled off right near the blue Lagoon and almost instantly got a great show. This photo was shot on an iPhone, but if you shoot with a tripod on a longer exposure they really pop ??Tour by @iceland_highlights
A post shared by Brian Kelly (@briankelly) on
5. There Are Plenty of Fun, Funky Hotels
I loved my stay in the quaint Skálakot Lodge, sandwiched between two waterfalls: Seljalandsfoss and Skógafoss. The Hotel Grimsborgir was another special spot, located just outside of the Thingvellir National Park. I spent a night at the Hilton Canopy Reykjavik, which was a funky spot to stay in if you want to explore the city. For my next trip, I hope to check out the ION Adventure Hotel at at Nesjavellir, an unusual hotel that overlooks lava fields.
Featured image courtesy of The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees