This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Business Platinum Card from American Express OPEN routinely ranks as one of the best business credit cards thanks to great travel benefits, not to mention a welcome bonus that is currently up to 75,000 points (or even higher for targeted consumers) in the past.
But the card also offers a slate of perks that cardholders, or those considering getting the card, might not be as familiar with, all for an annual fee that’s $100 less than the personal Platinum Card from American Express.
Here’s a list of some of the card’s best benefits, including some you might not have known about before.
As a reminder, here’s the current offer on the card and some of its more notable travel benefits.
- The Business Platinum Card currently offers up to 75,000 Membership Rewards points. Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 on all qualifying purchases within your first three months of cardmembership.
- $200 annual airline fee credit on incidental fees charged by the airline you select.
- 5x Membership Rewards points on flights and on eligible hotels booked directly on amextravel.com.
- 1.5x points per dollar on eligible purchases of $5,000 or more.
- 35% Pay with Points bonus when booking airfare through Amex Travel.
- $100 fee credit for Global Entry or an $85 fee credit for TSA PreCheck every 4 years.
- Points transfer to 20 airline and hotel partners.
- Access to the American Express Global Lounge Collection, which includes Centurion Lounges, Priority Pass lounges, and Delta Sky Clubs.
- Complimentary Gold elite status at Hilton and Starwood Hotels (which can also be matched to Marriott Gold status).
- Complimentary memberships in Hertz Gold Plus Rewards, Avis Preferred and National Car Rental Emerald Club Executive.
- Access to Amex Fine Hotels & Resorts.
- International Airline Program airfare purchase discounts.
- OPEN Savings small business benefits.
- Boingo Hotspot and Gogo Preferred Wi-Fi access.
- No foreign transaction fees.
- $450 annual fee
- Terms Apply
Now that we’ve got the travel-related banner benefits out of the way, let’s get into the nitty gritty perks cardholders might not be taking advantage of, or even know they have.
Travel Accident Insurance: This card’s version of this benefit provides up to $500,000 in accidental death and dismemberment coverage while traveling on a common carrier (e.g. plane, train, ship, or bus) when the entire fare has been charged to the eligible card. As usual, there are some exclusions and restrictions, such as the outbreak of war, or injuries to which the cardholder’s behavior or actions were a major contributing factor.
Lost or stolen baggage insurance: Like most other travel cards, this one offers insurance for lost or stolen bags. When you use your card to purchase the entire fare on a common carrier, coverage is provided up to $2,000 for checked baggage and up to a combined maximum of $3,000 for checked and carry-on baggage. The coverage is also subject to a $3,000 aggregate limit per covered trip. For New York State residents, there’s a $2,000 limit per bag/suitcase for each covered person with a $10,000 aggregate maximum for all people per trip.
Car rental loss and damage insurance: This is secondary rental insurance, rather than the primary insurance offered by other cards like the Chase Sapphire Reserve, but will cover you up to $75,000 for damage or theft.
Purchase protection: This oft-overlooked benefit covers cardholders coverage up to 90 days from the date of purchase if the item is stolen, accidentally damaged or lost. The coverage is limited up to $10,000 per occurrence, and up to $50,000 per account per calendar year.
Extended warranty: This benefit adds up to one extra year to the original manufacturer’s warranty of five years or less. Coverage is up to the $10,000 per item and $50,000 per account per calendar year.
Return protection: Return protection refunds cardholders for eligible purchases charged entirely to their card up to 90 days from purchase, up to $300 per item and up to a maximum of $1,000 per account per calendar year based on the date of purchase.
Pay Over Time Feature: This is especially handy for small business owners whose cash flow might be irregular at times. If eligible, cardholders are given the option to enroll, and then can pay certain purchases over time, though you do accrue interest on the balance, like with a credit card (remember, the Business Platinum is a charge card on which you generally cannot carry a balance).
Premium Roadside Assistance: Amex’s roadside assistance covers cardholders for emergencies where their car is suddenly inoperable up to four times per year. Emergency services such as towing up to 10 miles, changing a flat, or jumpstarting a battery are offered. There are some vehicle exclusions like motorcycles and taxis, and other important restrictions.
Concierge: Cardholders have access to a special phone service that can assist with tasks such as booking restaurants and events, or delivering items on demand. You must call to activate this benefit, but you can also sign up for texting for more convenience.
Preferred Seating Program: Thanks to Amex’s connections, its high-end cardholders get access to premium seats for cultural and sporting events based on availability — including some impossible-to-get tickets like Hamilton.
Premium Private Jet Program: Delta and Amex teamed up last year to provide this benefit through which Platinum, Business Platinum and Centurion cardholders can purchase the Delta Private Jets Card for a reduced price of $50,000, instead of the standard $100,000. Standard memberships come with 20% discounts on full-fare tickets for scheduled Delta flights as well as automatic Diamond Medallion status plus perks like a 3% Preferred bonus added to the value of the card, as well as an in-flight catering credit up to $250 per trip and a credit toward transfer services of up to $200 per trip.
Connect to QuickBooks: Amex business cardholders get this perk, which automatically logs transactions using their associated card to their Quickbooks daily, which makes keeping track of purchases and expenses that much easier.
InCircle: This is Neiman Marcus’s loyalty program. When you enroll your Business Platinum card with InCircle, you receive 1 point for every dollar of eligible purchases charged on your card at Neiman Marcus, Bergdorf Goodman, Last Call, Horchow or Cusp. For every 10,000 points you receive, you’ll get a $100 InCircle Point Card. Points are not received based on sales tax, shipping, alterations, gift packaging, fur services, repair and cleaning of shoes, handbags, optical, precious jewelry, monogramming, salon products and services, and valet parking.
Though the Business Platinum Card comes with plenty of widely advertised perks, there are dozens of lesser-known benefits which can add tremendous value to carrying the card if you maximize them. These include travel and purchase protections as well as exclusive access to events, premium travel experiences and more. If you carry the card or are thinking of applying for it, be sure to look through the card’s benefits guide in detail to make sure you will take advantage of all it has to offer.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees