9 travel podcasts guaranteed to spark your wanderlust
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Even if your next trip isn’t on the immediate horizon, it doesn’t mean you can’t keep the wanderlust alive.
Travel podcasts are a great way to develop your travel expertise and satisfy your cravings for adventure no matter where in the world you are. Hopefully, you’re home, as health officials say the fastest way to halt the spread of the novel coronavirus and return to normalcy is to stop coming in contact with others.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
To hold you over until we can all travel again, we rounded up some of our favorite travel podcasts, so you can plug in any time and get your fix of travel advice and inspiration from industry experts and adventurers.
If you’re finding yourself listening to way more podcasts than usual, consider upgrading to a premium version of your favorite streaming service.
Just remember to use a credit card that will help you get the most value from your purchase, whether you listen on Spotify, Apple Music, SiriusXM, Pandora or another provider.
The women of Condé Nast Traveler host this weekly podcast and discuss topics around the female travel experience. Expect plenty of tips, interviews and lively debates — ranging from the safest places for women to travel, to how women are changing the travel industry. They’ll even answer some of your most frequently asked travel questions.
For travelers itching for an adrenaline rush, you’re in luck: The Season Pass podcast will teach you everything there is to know about theme park travel. Join theme park enthusiasts from around the world, as well as industry experts Dough Barnes, Brent Young and Robert Coker, as they review different rides, parks and offer plenty of insights to help you have your best vacation ever.
Ever think about quitting your job and just hitting the road? Well, that’s what Craig and Linda did all the way back in 2006. Tune in to their podcast to hear about their adventures, as well as their tips and tricks for living (and working) around the globe. Who knows? You may pick up on a tip or two that inspires you to do the same.
Anthony Bourdain’s legacy lives on in “The Trip” podcast, where his partners explore destinations around the world through drinking. Here, you’ll be whisked away to faraway lands, from Oaxaca to the Himalayas, as host Nathan Thornburgh connects the dots between people, food, drinks and travel. New episodes are out every Monday.
The Dirtbag Diaries surfaces “sometimes serious, often humorous” stories from wild places around the globe. Fitz Cahall, a full-time outdoor enthusiast, started it over 10 years ago — in fact, episodes date all the way back to 2007! Tune in to hear stories about living the adventure lifestyle and exploring the great outdoors.
This podcast from National Geographic will take you on an adventure to the corners of the earth. Discover the world’s magic by taking a trip back in time — from the Pyramids in Egypt to the graffiti at Pompeii. Our advice? Grab a blanket and cozy up on the couch. This is one podcast you’re not going to be able to turn off.
Though it only ran for one season, we loved Airplane Mode. The podcast was started by the founders of suitcase brand Away, and explored what motivates people to travel. From navigating the road to becoming an expat — and even how to find love while traveling — you’ll discover an abundance of inspiring stores that will motivate you to hit the road.
This hour-long weekly podcast won’t fully satisfy your wanderlust, but it’s might just be the next best thing. Rick Steves is a host and writer of over 100 public television travel shows and author of 30 best-selling guidebooks, and he’ll take you on a journey around the world — through your headphones or speakers, that is. Each week, he brings in experts to discuss travel, and the cultures, people and things that give it meaning.
This is the podcast all of your savviest travel friends listen to. After each episode, you’ll leave with a tip or trick to help enhance your travel experience. Think: How to get a better seat or discover the best local restaurants. It’s a must-listen if you’re looking to upgrade your travel game.
Featured image via Shutterstock.
Additional reporting by Samantha Rosen.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees