Anthony Bourdain’s posthumous travel guide will publish this year
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The chef, writer and television personality was working on a new book with his longtime assistant and friend, Laurie Woolever, when he died, People Magazine reported this week. Woolever shepherded the book through to completion, though much of the book was written by Bourdain.
Called “World Travel: An Irreverent Guide,” the book will include essays from Bourdain’s friends and family, as well as “essential advice on how to get there, what to eat, where to stay and, in some cases, what to avoid,” according to the publisher. It will be part personal and part travel guide, where “a life of experience is collected into an entertaining, practical, fun and frank travel guide that gives readers an introduction to some of his favorite places — in his own words.”
The cover features an original Tony Millionaire sketch, depicting Bourdain sitting outside a café in Paris. The book, which will be published by Ecco, is already available for pre-order, and will officially go on sale on Oct. 13.
View this post on Instagram
“This book will allow Tony’s fans and followers to continue to travel in his footsteps,” Woolever said in a statement. “It’s been my honor and pleasure to create a book that includes stories from his loved ones and colleagues. I was lucky to work closely with Tony for nearly a decade, and I’m so pleased to be able to share his reflections and insights about the world, as he saw it, in this guide.”
At one point, Bourdain estimated he went through about a dozen passports in his lifetime.
While the world is certainly still mourning his loss — and will be for some time — this guide may help to fill in that hole.
Featured image by Dimitrios Kambouris/Getty Images for Turner.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.