Sweet Spot Sunday: US to Ireland from 13,000 Avios each way
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On July 19, 2021, Ireland is reopening to international tourists, including Americans. This is exciting news to everyone who has wanted to travel to Ireland this year. If you’ve been saving up your points and miles, I’ve got some fantastic news for you because getting there can be as cheap as a domestic award ticket.
You read that right. Today, I’ll cover how you can book a one-way economy class ticket for off-peak travel using just 13,000 British Airways Avios each way if you’re traveling from the East Coast. West Coast flights are also a solid deal and if you want to travel during peak dates, awards start at just 20,000 Avios each way.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
|Departure City||Route||Flight miles
*Despite the distance falling below 3,000 miles, Aer Lingus prices these routes as though they cover 3,000+ miles
Why it’s special
Redeeming 13,000 Avios for a one-way award ticket to Ireland is a major bargain, considering most reward programs will charge that much for a one-way domestic award ticket. Flights to Europe cost 30,000 miles each way with most programs.
While those are all incredible deals that I’ve personally taken advantage of when I had a large stash of AA and Flying Blue miles saved up, these 13,000-Avios awards are an even better deal. Especially when you consider that they apply to direct flights and don’t incur fuel surcharges.
How to book this award
British Airways used to make it easy to book this sweet spot award online. However, you can’t find award availability online anymore. Nowadays, you have to find space on United.com (United is an Aer Lingus partner), then call British Airways to book the award. Here’s a step-by-step look at how to book a 13,000-Avios sweet spot award using Avios:
Step 1: Go to United.com
Head over to United.com and type in your travel information. Make sure you check off “Book with miles.”
Step 2: Find a nonstop Aer Lingus flight
On the search results page, you’ll want to look for saver-level nonstop awards on Aer Lingus. Make note of the flight number.
Step 3: Call British Airways
When you have your flight picked out, call British Airways at 1-800-452-1201. You’ll need your Executive Club membership number on hand. To minimize time on the phone, give the rep your preferred flight number along with your travel dates and routes. This will make it easier for them to narrow down the options and quickly book the flight you need.
Step 4: Confirm and pay
Once the rep reads back your itinerary and it sounds correct, go ahead and confirm your booking and pay using a card that pays you extra points on flight bookings. Here’s a round-up of the best options:
- The Platinum Card® from American Express: 5x on flights purchased directly from the airline or through Amex Travel (on up to $500,000 per calendar year). Terms apply.
- Chase Sapphire Reserve: 3x on travel (excluding the $300 travel credit), including flights.
- Chase Ink Business Preferred Credit Card: 3x on the first $150,000 spent in combined purchases each account anniversary year across the categories of travel (including flights); shipping purchases; internet, cable and phone services; and advertising purchases with social media sites and search engines.
- American Express® Gold Card: 3x on flights purchased directly from the airline or through Amex Travel.
- Chase Sapphire Preferred Card: 2x on travel, including flights.
When you hang up, make sure to check your email for a confirmation and ensure that all the information is correct: Your destination, cabin class and flight. People make errors and it’s best to catch them within a 24-hour window so you can easily fix them.
How to earn points for this award
Amex Membership Rewards and Chase Ultimate Rewards transfer to Avios at a 1:1 ratio, Capital One transfers 2:1.5 and Marriott Bonvoy points transfer 3:1. You’ll get a 5,000-Avios bonus for every 60,000 Bonvoy points transferred, so 60,000 Marriott points equal 25,000 Avios.
Another way to earn British Airways Avios is to apply for a new credit card. The British Airways Visa Signature® Card currently offers 100,000 bonus Avios after you spend $5,000 within the first three months from account opening. With this bonus, you could book upwards of four round-trip awards between the East Coast and Ireland.
British Airways Avios aren’t always the easiest to use since the airline prices awards by segment and adds high taxes and fuel surcharges when transiting through London. However, as we’ve learned through this series, there are sweet spots to be found in even the most challenging programs.
If Ireland is on your bucket list, this sweet spot award can help get you there faster.
Featured image of Skellig Michael in Site, Ireland by MNStudio/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees