Here’s How American Airlines, Delta and United Handle Upgrade Certificate Extensions
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
You know what they say — you don’t get what you don’t ask for! As we approach yet another end-of-January, alarm bells ring for top-tier elites on American Airlines, Delta and United who have upgrade certificates on the brink of expiring. Each carrier handles extensions very differently, and leeway seems to change from year to year. Below, we’ll cover the latest across the big three US carriers. As ever, if you have any tricks for fellow frequent flyers, be sure to let us know in comments below.
Technically, systemwide upgrades need to be used on a flight departing by the expiration date. This means American Airlines Executive Platinum members that earned status in 2017 have to apply their unused systemwide upgrades to flights departing on or before January 31, 2019. However, if you requalified for Executive Platinum status in 2018 there’s a potential workaround that we covered in detail last year.
If you’d rather shoot for a bona fide extension, listen up: Gary Leff is reporting that American Airlines is willing to extend these upgrades so long as the follow criteria is met.
- You need to purchase a ticket and apply the SWU by the end of January for flights through April 30, 2019
- You need a Helix score (which we’ve detailed here) of 4 or 5
If neither of these options end up panning out, use the power of social media to ask around and see if you can find someone to whom you could gift expiring SWUs. Just be sure to avoid selling or bartering with them, as American (or really any airline) would likely ban you from their program if you’re caught.
Delta Air Lines
Delta has no published extension policy for its Regional and Global Upgrade Certificates, which can be selected as part of its Choice Benefits program for top-tier Platinum and Diamond Medallion elites. Those expire one year from their date of issue, which means that a RUC/GUC selected on Jan. 31, 2018 will expire (if unused) by Jan. 31, 2019.
Delta takes a hard line on these expiration dates, with absolutely no exceptions. In fact, I called the Delta Diamond line today (Jan. 30, 2019) and attempted to apply two of my expiring Regional Upgrade Certificates to a Delta flight on Feb. 3, 2019 and was denied. Granted, the agent was sympathetic and I got the feeling that she’d love to do it if her system would allow her, but it was a no in the end.
Sadder still, Delta will not allow you to gift RUCs/GUCs unless the passenger is flying on the exact same flight as you. Bah, humbug!
United is the clear winner in terms of leniency with expiring upgrades. The carrier went so far as to announce an extension protocol back in November of 2018.
Assuming you’ve already requalified for Premier 1K or Global Services status, United is once again offering to extend the expiration of two GPUs to April 30, 2019, giving members an extra three months to use them up.
As in past years, the following restrictions apply:
- You must have already requalified for Premier 1K or Global Services status for the 2019 program year.
- You must call the MileagePlus Service Center at 800-421-4655 to request the extension.
- You can extend a maximum of two GPUs — regional certificates may not be extended.
Note that the only way to extend these upgrades is by calling the number above, and the process can be quite lengthy, depending on the agent you get. Assuming you still expect to have two GPUs left over when the clock strikes midnight on January 31, 2019, it’s certainly worth the effort to call and get them extended through April.
Of course, these policies detailed above may not match what you personally have encountered with the three legacy carriers in the US. If you’ve had a different experience, please share in the comments section below! You never know when your advice may help a fellow TPG reader successfully utilize an upgrade certificate that was set to expire.
And finally, just a reminder that tomorrow (Jan. 31, 2019) is the last day that many of these upgrade certificates are valid without being granted an exception, and it also happens to be the last day to select your Delta Choice Benefits. Don’t let these valuable perks go to waste!
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter here!
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees