What Does It Take to Earn United Global Services Status in 2018?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In addition to published top tiers, like American’s Executive Platinum, Delta Diamond and United Premier 1K, all three carriers offer an even higher level of status, reserved specifically for the biggest spenders.
While accruing more Premier Qualifying Miles (PQMs) after reaching Premier 1K will earn you even more perks with United, when it comes to the somewhat-mysterious Global Services tier, additional flying can actually count against you, unless you spend significantly more to match.
On Monday, I caught up with a few current Global Services members to see where they’ve landed for 2019. While United’s still calculating the results for one, two have already received the nod for next year — you can check for yourself at mystatus.united.com.
Of the two that have already re-qualified, the results vary significantly. One earned Global Services for another year with roughly 200,000 PQMs and over $28,000 in Premier Qualifying Dollars (PQDs). Another earned GS with more than 200,000 PQMs and roughly $55,000 PQDs — far more spend than contestant No. 1. (Update: The first member’s balance was updated to reflect elite-qualifying miles vs. actual miles flown. Additionally, a third TPG reader shared this year’s stats, with about 240,000 PQMs and $75,000 PQDs.)
For many flyers, earning Global Services can be worth the extra push — we dig into some of the top benefits here, which include (but are certainly not limited to):
- Expanded award availability (agents can book economy Saver awards using the “T” fare bucket, and “PZ” for business awards)
- Far improved upgrade availability (Global Services upgrades clear into “PN” class, which is more readily available than “PZ”)
- Expanded upgrades for companions on some tickets
- Tarmac transfers for tight connections
- Access to United’s best customer service agents, both at the airport and over the phone
As for me, while I suppose I could luck out with a Global Services invitation some day, it probably won’t happen this year — I just barely made the cut for Premier 1K. Let us know where you’ve netted out in the comments below.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees