United Confuses Elites With New Upgrade Fare Classes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Casual flyers are well acquainted with the standard single-character Roman alphabet — A, B, C and so on. United loyalists, on the other hand, are almost as familiar with obscure pairings — XN (elite and credit cardholder saver awards), IN (elite business saver awards) and PN (instant and Global Services upgrades). As of Monday, those road warriors now have yet another combo to commit to memory: PZ.
So what the heck is PZ? It’s the new “R” class — that is, the fare class assigned to confirmed upgrades for general members and United elites (up to Premier 1K). I logged into my existing booking for United’s new 787-10 Dreamliner, and saw that it’s already been moved from R to PZ:
Another booking I have on the same aircraft had PN availability, for Global Services, but no R space, for this lowly Premier 1K. I asked a friend to upgrade me, and that flight is still showing PN — United hasn’t made any changes to that particular fare class.
So what does it all mean for you? Well, nothing’s changed if you have an upgrade that’s already confirmed — other than the assigned fare class, that is. Upgraded flights have already been moved from R inventory to PZ, and there’s nothing you need to do to ensure you still travel in business or first.
If you’re still waiting for an upgrade to clear, ensure that PZ is now appearing on the waitlisted segment, rather than R. If you still see R, you might want to give United reservations a ring at 1 (800) 864-8331 just to make sure you’re good to go. Meanwhile, if you’re using Expert Mode to search for flights that’ll clear into a premium cabin right away, PZ is the fare class you’re after now.
United has confirmed that inventory has not been adjusted, so you should be seeing just as much (or little) availability as before. This change simply reflects a fare-class shuffle following the end of international first class, now that the airline’s 3-cabin 777-200s are undergoing a retrofit, and losing Polaris first in the process.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees