Delta Flash Sale: Australia From 50,000 SkyMiles Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Delta’s SkyMiles program doesn’t have the best reputation, but it’s making itself known for offering some enticing award flash sales. Just a few days ago, it launched the best offer yet: 22,000 SkyMiles round-trip to Europe. But, there’s been plenty of other sales (domestic: 10,000 miles round-trip, Mexico: 12,000 miles round-trip, Asia: 40,000 miles round-trip)
The last Australia flash sale offered awards starting at 58,000 SkyMiles round-trip, but Delta has now discounted Australia award flights even further down to just 50,000 SkyMiles round-trip. That’s spectacular when you consider both American Airlines and United charge no less than 80,000 miles round-trip for Australia flights.
At current TPG valuations, 50,000 SkyMiles are worth just $600. Adding in taxes and fees starting at $116 and this is equivalent to scoring a $716 round-trip deal to Australia.
If you’re short on miles, remember that you can instantly transfer American Express Membership Rewards points into your SkyMiles account at a 1:1 ratio.
Routes: US Cities (ATL/BOS/SEA/JFK/PDX and likely others) to SYD
Cost: 50,000+ SkyMiles and $116+ round-trip in economy
Dates: September 6 through December 9
Booking Link: Directly with Delta
Purchase by: September 5
Pay Taxes/Fees With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (5x on airfare plus excellent trip delay insurance) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Atlanta (ATL) to Sydney (SYD) for 50,000 SkyMiles + $116 in taxes and fees round-trip in September:
Boston (BOS) to Sydney (SYD) for 50,000 SkyMiles + $116 in taxes and fees round-trip in October:
Seattle (SEA) to Sydney (SYD) for 50,000 SkyMiles + $116 in taxes and fees round-trip in November:
New York Kennedy (JFK) to Sydney (SYD) for 50,000 SkyMiles + $116 in taxes and fees round-trip in September:
Portland (PDX) to Sydney (SYD) for 50,000 SkyMiles + $116 in taxes and fees round-trip in October:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases to pay the taxes and fees, such as the Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If you don’t have enough SkyMiles in your account, consider signing up for one of the Delta credit cards to ensure you’re able to take advantage of a deal next time one pops up. For example, the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express currently comes with a bonus of 30,000 bonus miles after you use your new Card to make $1,000 in purchases within your first 3 months and a $50 Statement Credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Terms Apply.
H/T: Doctor of Credit
Featured image Brett Hemmings/City of Sydney via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.