This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card from American Express
If you want to fly to Asia with Delta SkyMiles, now is the time. Delta is back with another sale on award flights, this time on flights to multiple Asian destinations. While we’ve seen similar promotions, such as 65,000 miles round-trip and 50,000 miles round-trip, this offer sets a new low, with economy award flights starting at just 40,000 SkyMiles round-trip.
And while there have been some great flight deals to Asia recently, this promotion is makes using miles competitive. According to current TPG valuations, 40,000 SkyMiles are worth $480. And taxes/fees are low on these flights, so it’s not a low-mileage high-cost situation.
While we are seeing some great availability on the listed routes, the routes — especially at 40,000 miles — are rather limited. Also, you’re going to have to make a quick decision as tickets must be purchased no later than July 3, 2018.
Routes: PDX/SLC/ATL/MSP/JFK/DTW to PEK/PVG/HND/ICN/NGO
Cost: From 40,000 miles plus taxes/fees starting at $36 round-trip
Book by: July 3
Dates: September 4-December 25, 2018
Restrictions: 10-day minimum stay. 10-month maximum stay. Outbound flights must depart by December 13.
Portland (PDX) to Beijing, China (PEK) for 40,000 miles and $41 round-trip:
Salt Lake City (SLC) to Shanghai (PVG) for 40,000 miles and $41 round-trip:
Atlanta (ATL) to Shanghai (PVG) nonstop for 50,000 miles and $36 round-trip:
Minneapolis (MSP) to Tokyo’s Haneda (HND) nonstop for 60,000 miles and $46 round-trip:
New York Kennedy (JFK) to Seoul (ICN) for 64,000 miles and $53 round-trip:
Detroit (DTW) to Nagoya (NGO) nonstop for 70,000 miles and $46 round-trip:
Although you won’t be able to earn a welcome bonus in the next few days (since the qualification period is the first three months from account opening), consider applying for a Delta credit card the next time the carrier has a sale. Right now, the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express comes with a bonus of 30,000 SkyMiles after you spend $1,000 in the first three months. Plus, a $50 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase within the first three months. You’ll earn two miles per dollar on Delta purchases and one mile per dollar on everything else.
If you have a business, the Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card from American Express is offering a 50,000-mile welcome bonus and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after spending $3,000 in the first three months. Plus, a $100 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase within the first three months.
H/T: The Gate
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards