This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available – Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express
If you want to fly to Asia on miles, now is the time. Delta is back with another sale on award flights, this time on flights to multiple Asian destinations.
You can fly for as few as 50,000 SkyMiles round-trip from the US to China, Hong Kong or Japan. You’ll have to book by March 20 with outbound flights available from March 13 through May 24, 2018 (the return flight can depart after May 24). Only main cabin economy seats are eligible for the sale.
Unlike most of its promotions, Delta has select routes on sale, which is unlike others where usually just the destination is on sale. Check out all the discounted routes here. Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Portland (PDX) to Beijing (PEK) for 50,000 miles and $42 round-trip:
Seattle (SEA) to Hong Kong (HKG) for 50,000 miles and $64 round-trip:
Lexington (LEX) to Nagoya (NGO) for 54,000 miles and $52 round-trip:
Although Delta doesn’t publish an award chart, flights from the US to North Asia usually go for a minimum of 70,000 miles round-trip in economy.
This can be a good use of SkyMiles, as the same Lexington – Nagoya flights are currently going for $1700 round-trip — meaning you’re getting about 3.1 cents per point, much higher than the average 1.2 cents per mile, according to TPG‘s valuations. Granted the Portland to Beijing route is going for $594 meaning you’d be getting the standard 1.2 cents per mile on that route.
Availability for discounted awards on the routes we searched seemed pretty wide open, but you’ll have to watch out for blackout dates, which are listed at the bottom of the sale page for each route.
Although you won’t be able to earn a welcome bonus in the next few days, consider applying for a Delta credit card the next time the carrier has a sale, which is quite frequent these days. Right now, the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express comes with a welcome bonus of 30,000 SkyMiles after you spend $1,000 in the first three months. Plus, a $50 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase within the first three months. You’ll earn two miles per dollar on Delta purchases and one mile per dollar on everything else.
The Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express is offering a 35,000-mile welcome bonus after spending $1,000 in the first three months. Plus, get a $100 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your card within the first three months.
Featured image by Yongyuan Dai/Getty Images.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees