This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Delta’s offering SkyMiles members the option to use their miles to travel for cheap to South America. For its latest award flash sale, Delta’s promoting travel to various South American destinations from 36,000 SkyMiles round-trip.
In order to take advantage of these reduced award rates, you must book by 11:59pm ET on March 14, 2018, and travel between August 15 and October 31, 2018. The reduced fares are only for main cabin and Comfort+ travel on select Delta-operated flights between the continental US 48 and South America. Keep in mind that you’ll also need to pay the taxes and fees on these award tickets, which can be pricey, and there is a Saturday night stay required.
As part of the sale, Delta lists the following destinations as eligible for the reduced rates: Buenos Aires, Argentina (EZE); Bogotá, Colombia (BOG); Cartagena, Colombia (CTG); Lima, Peru (LIM); Quito, Ecuador (UIO); Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (GIG); Santiago, Chile (SCL); São Paulo, Brazil (GRU).
Here are some examples of what you can book:
Atlanta (ATL) to Bogotá (BOG) for 36,000 SkyMiles + $75 round-trip:
Detroit (DTW) to Cartagena (CTG) for 36,000 SkyMiles + $86 round-trip:
Miami (MIA) to Quito (UIO) for 44,000 SkyMiles + $101 round-trip:
New York (LGA/EWR) to Buenos Aires (EZE) for 48,000 SkyMiles + $97 round-trip:
Delta doesn’t publish an award chart, so there’s no telling just exactly how discounted these award sale fares are. However, if you’re thinking about taking a trip to to the South America and have the SkyMiles to spend, this could be a good deal.
If you don’t have enough SkyMiles in your account, consider applying for one of the Delta SkyMiles credit cards from American Express to ensure you’re able to take advantage of an offer like this next time one pops up. For example, the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express comes with a bonus of 30,000 SkyMiles after you spend $1,000 in the first three months. Plus, a $50 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase within the first three months. You’ll earn 2 miles per dollar on Delta purchases and 1 mile per dollar on everything else.
Featured image of Cartagena by Jesse Kraft / EyeEm / Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
If you are a Delta flyer who is looking to bank some extra miles this card is a great addition for your wallet. While you'll earn 2 miles per dollar on Delta purchases and 1 mile per dollar on everything else, you'll also have access to other perks like priority boarding, a first bag checked free and discounted Delta Sky Club access.
- Earn 30,000 Bonus Miles after spending $1,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $50 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months.
- Earn 2 miles on every dollar spent on purchases made directly with Delta. Earn 1 mile for every eligible dollar spent on purchases.
- Check your first bag free on Delta flights - that's a savings of up to $200 per round trip for a family of four.
- Want even more flexibility? Pay with Miles is a Card Member feature that gives you the option to redeem miles for all or part of the price of your tickets on Delta.com.
- Settle into your seat sooner with Priority Boarding.
- Enjoy a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees