Deal alert: Half-priced round-trip flights to the Maldives
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s not every day or really any day that we see half-priced deals to the Maldives, a collection of islands in the Indian Ocean known for their overwater bungalows and overall picture-perfect paradise.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
This deal departs slightly from our traditional deals format, but we will still provide all the information you need to know to save money. But note, this deal is set to expire, so time is of the essence. Off you go!
Airline: Varies, but the cheapest fares found are with Qatar Airways and Etihad Airways.
Routes: JFK/ORD/IAD/DFW and others to MLE.
Cost: As low $722 round-trip for select routes.
Dates: Depends on the route, but generally through March 2022.
Pay with: The Platinum Card® from American Express for 5x on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel (on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), the Citi Prestige® Card for 5x on airfare, the Citi Premier® Card or Chase Sapphire Reserve for 3x on air travel, the American Express® Gold Card for 3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline or through Amex Travel, or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card for 2x on travel.
The information for the Citi Prestige Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
First things first: Given the aforementioned location of the Maldives in the Indian Ocean, all flights departing from the U.S. are going to have at least one stop as there are no direct flights from the U.S. As such, you could book a two-in-one, meaning you connect somewhere in Europe or the Middle East, which would give you some time to spend in your connection point if you so choose. TPG reporter Chris Dong recently traveled from New York City (JFK) to Istanbul (IST), where he stayed for a few nights, before continuing on to Velana International Airport (MLE).
Scott’s Cheap Flights notes that “all routes have availability on Qatar Airways for a slightly higher price, if you fancy flying the world’s best airline.” Either way, you should expect a long layover in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, or Doha, Qatar, in one or both directions.
Sample economy fares in this deal to Male include departures from the below cities:
- NYC (JFK), starting at $696 (normally $1,300 — 46% off).
- Chicago (ORD), starting at $633 — the lowest we’ve ever seen this route (normally $1,300 — 51% off).
- Washington, D.C. (IAD), starting at $685 (normally $1,300 — 47% off).
There are also reduced business-class deals to Male from:
- Chicago (ORD), as low as $2,459 (normally $5,000 — 45% off)
- Washington DC (IAD), as low as $2,828 (normally $4,500 — 37% off)
- NYC (JFK), as low as $2,984 (normally $4,500 — 34% off)
- Dallas (DFW), as low as $3,277 (normally $4,500 — 27% off)
Check out this $730 round-trip flight from New York City to Male with a two-hour layover in Doha via Qatar Airways.
Both flights include a short layover in Doha, so while there wouldn’t be enough time to necessarily leave the airport and explore, you would get an incredible deal that would make for a much shorter journey to your final destination.
We normally advise using Google Flights to search for deals, and while that is still a good place to start for these flights, note that you may see a cheaper deal around $700 for this flight through a third-party booking site. Be sure to review the terms and conditions of any sites before booking. The above example flights are if you book through Qatar Airlines directly.
If coming from the Midwest, you might consider flying from Chicago’s O’Hare (ORD) for as low as $722, which is among the lowest fares for this route that normally costs around $1,300.
Although Qatar Airways is highly regarded as one of the best airlines thanks to its impeccable service, and TPG has reviewed it favorably, TPG has also said the food in the airline’s economy class is nothing to write home about, despite economy passengers receiving a menu.
Another option for this deal is to fly on Etihad Airways, including the below flight for just under $750 in January 2022 from Dulles International Airport (IAD) in Washington, D.C. Both flights include overnight layovers.
Regardless of the airline you choose, be sure to act fast because this deal will soon be disappearing. Otherwise, you’ll miss out on this view!
Featured photo of The Ritz-Carlton Maldives, Fari Islands by Chris Dong/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.