Deal alert: One-way fares starting at $39 via Alaska Airlines fall sale
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As if you needed another reason to love fall even more, how about we “do fall right with a low-fare flight” courtesy of Alaska Airlines’ Just-Leave Sale?
“Book an autumn adventure now before these low fares fly away,” says Alaska Air, which is currently offering one-way deals for travel booked now through Sept. 30. Saver fares are available ranging in price from $39 to $129 each way, departing from 91 U.S. cities to various West Coast cities including Los Angeles, Seattle, San Francisco and Portland, Oregon.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Airline: Alaska Airlines.
Routes: AUS/ORD/DEN/JFK/DAL and others to LAX/SFO/PDX/SJC/BOI/SJD/SBA and others.
Cost: Starting at $39 each way for select routes.
Dates: Varies by route, but deals can be found for travel through March 2022.
Pay with: The Alaska Airlines Visa® Business card or Alaska Airlines Visa Signature® credit card to earn an unlimited 3 miles for every $1 spent on eligible Alaska Airlines purchases. If you’re not an Alaska loyalist, try The Platinum Card® from American Express for 5x on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel (on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), the Citi Prestige® Card for 5x on airfare, the Citi Premier® Card or Chase Sapphire Reserve for 3x on air travel, the American Express® Gold Card for 3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline or through Amex Travel, or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card for 2x on travel.
The information for the Citi Prestige Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Some of the best routes included in Alaska’s fall sale are:
- Austin, Texas (AUS), to Los Angeles (LAX) for $59 each way.
- Denver (DEN) to Seattle (SEA) and Portland (PDX) for $59 each way.
- Dallas Love Field (DAL) to San Francisco (SFO) and LAX for $79.
- DAL to SEA for $89.
- Chicago (ORD) to SFO for $79 each way
- ORD to SEA and PDX for $89 each way.
- New York City (JFK) to SFO for $89 each way.
- JFK to SEA/PDX/San Diego (SAN) for $99 each way.
One-way fares for $39, $49, $59, $69, $89 and $99 can also be found, depending on the route, and many of them are nonstop, which makes this deal even more valuable.
Before you start your search, which you should do ASAP as you must book your travel by Sept. 30, note that the sale is restricted to certain terms and conditions, including blackout dates over the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays. As always, Alaska’s saver fares are nonrefundable, come with limited seat selection and mean you will be the last to board. A 24-hour cancellation policy applies to all fares, including these.
We will start with this nonstop flight from Austin (AUS) to Los Angeles (LAX) in mid-October for just $59 each way, a deal for a three-hour half-cross-country flight.
In booking a flight such as this, you’ll be given the option to pay to upgrade to the main cabin for $80 round-trip. The choice is yours of course, but note that doing so would lessen the savings inherently offered by the fare price a bit.
Another great flight for our friends departing from the Midwest is this flight from Chicago (ORD) to San Francisco (SFO) for $79 each way, Oct. 16-23.
Not bad for an almost 2,000-mile journey.
And of course, West Coast travelers are likely to find fares to their liking to other West Coast cities, including travelers in Denver (DEN) looking to go northwest to Seattle (SEA). Fifty-nine dollar one-way, nonstop flights from DEN to SEA and SEA to DEN are plentiful starting in October, as illustrated by the flight below departing DEN Oct. 19 and returning Oct 26.
The $39 flights are the lowest in this deal, and the majority I found were for flights up the West Coast, such as the one-hour flight from San Diego (SAN) to Santa Barbara, California (SBA), over MLK Day weekend in January.
Passengers on Alaska Air flights are allotted one carry-on bag plus one personal item. Checked baggage starts at $30. All in all, this wide-ranging sale of mostly nonstop flights is a great deal. Catch it before it expires in one day!
Maximize your purchase
Don’t forget to use a card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or Amex Travel on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on air travel), American Express Gold Card (3x on flights booked directly with airlines or Amex Travel), Citi Premier Card (3x on air travel) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel purchases). Check out this guide for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured photo of an Alaska Airlines Airbus A320-214 taking off from LAX on Jan. 13 by AaronP/Bauer-Griffin/GC Images via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees