Book business class flights to Europe for 44,000 points next summer with Brussels Airlines
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Brussels Airlines isn’t the most well-known Star Alliance carrier — but it should be on your radar.
The Lufthansa Group carrier operates a hub in Brussels (BRU), where it flies around Europe and to Africa, the Middle East and North America. Here in the U.S., you can fly the carrier to Brussels from New York-JFK and Washington-Dulles (IAD). The airline also offers nonstop service from Toronto (YYZ) to Brussels, providing a convenient connection for many U.S. travelers.
But the best way to book Brussels Airlines isn’t with Star Alliance miles like United MileagePlus. Instead, you can leverage the carrier’s non-alliance partnership with Etihad Airways to book business class flights to Europe on the cheap. Its nonstop routes to/from the U.S. cost just 44,000 Etihad Guest miles each way in business class, which is a steal compared to other booking options.
There is open Brussels Airlines award space from New York and Washington to Brussels next summer, giving you an easy way to score an excellent deal on a summer vacation. Let’s take a closer look at the award space and how to book it with Etihad Guest.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our free daily newsletter!
Airline: Brussels Airlines
Routes: JFK and IAD to BRU
Cost: From 88,000 Amex, Capital One or Citi points round-trip (transferred to Etihad Guest)
Dates: July-Aug. 2022
How to book: Find award space with your favorite Star Alliance search tool and call Etihad Guest to confirm award space. Then, transfer points to Etihad Guest to finalize your booking.
Pay Taxes/Fees With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel; on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on travel) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel) for travel protections on the award flight.
Is it worth it?
Flights to Europe — whether to Brussels or elsewhere — aren’t cheap during the summer months. For example, this round-trip Brussels Airlines flight from New York-JFK to Brussels in business class costs over $3,400 next August.
Flights from Washington are even more expensive, with the least expensive business class round-trip on Brussels Airlines being $3,738 next August.
Beyond just price, Brussels is a great European destination. It’s full of historic sights, great beer and excellent food (make sure to try the waffles). The summer is a great time to experience the city, with moderate temperatures that make it a joy to walk around the city and enjoy al fresco dining.
Brussels Airlines has a huge European route network too, so you can add a stopover for marginally more miles. Take a look at Etihad Guest’s full Brussels Airlines award chart (PDF link) and add the miles required to go from Brussels to your final destination to the 44,000 miles it costs to fly from the U.S. to Brussels.
One quick note: you need to find award space with your favorite Star Alliance search tool — United.com is a great option — and call Etihad Guest to book the ticket. Thankfully, this should be a quick process barring any long hold times. Just make sure to look for flights operated by Brussels Airlines, as flights operated by other Star Alliance carriers cannot be booked with Etihad Guest for 44,000 miles one-way.
Each of the dates listed below has, at the time of writing, award space for at least one passenger, though many dates have more seats available.
New York-JFK to/from Brussels (BRU)
- July: 4, 19 and 26
- August: 4-6, 10, 12, 19 and 21-23
- September: 6, 12, 15, 20 and 28
- July: 24, 26 and 30
- August: 8, 10, 12, 15-16, 18-19, 21-23 and 26-28
- September: 2-3, 7, 9, 26-27 and 30
Washington-Dulles (IAD) to/from Brussels (BRU)
- July: 12, 14, 16, 19, 21 and 24
- August: 5, 7, 12, 14 and 20
- September: 2, 16, 18, 22, 25 and 30
- July: 2-3, 7-8, 15, 24, 26 and 28
- August: 5, 7, 9, 12, 14, 28, 23, 25, 27-28 and 30
- September: 8, 15-16, 22 and 25
Boosting your Etihad Guest balance
Etihad Guest is a transfer partner of American Express Membership Rewards, Capital One Rewards and Citi ThankYou. Here’s a look at some of my favorite Amex cards and their current welcome offers, some of which will give you more than enough points to book a Brussels Airlines ticket through Etihad. Each card has its own set of benefits and fees, so do your own research and see which is best for your wallet.
- American Express® Green Card: 45,000 Membership Rewards points after you spend $2,000 on purchases within the first six months of card membership. Earn 3x points on dining at restaurants, travel and transit (including flights, hotels, transit, taxis, tours, and ridesharing services), 1x points on all other purchases ($150 annual fee; see rates and fees).
- American Express® Gold Card: Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $4,000 on eligible purchases with your new card within the first six months of card membership. Earn 4x points on dining at restaurants; 4x points at U.S. supermarkets (up to $25,000 per calendar year; then 1x points); 3x points on airfare purchased directly from airlines or American Express Travel; 1x points on all other purchases, ($250 annual fee; see rates and fees).
- The Platinum Card® from American Express: 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points after spending $6,000 on purchases in your first six months of card membership. Earn 5x points on airfare purchased directly from airlines or with American Express Travel (earn 5x points on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), 5x on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel, and Amex Fine Hotels & Resorts; 1x on all other purchases, ($695 annual fee; see rates and fees).
The information for the Amex Green card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Brussels Airlines has open award space next summer from New York and Washington D.C. If you’re interested, you’ll want to book quickly as this award space can disappear at any time.
Remember, you can book with any Star Alliance miles, but you’ll get the best deal when booking with Etihad Guest. The program charges just 44,000 miles one-way for a business class flight from the U.S. to Brussels.
Feature photo by Massimo Borchi/Atlantide Phototravel via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees