Switzerland could begin welcoming vaccinated visitors on June 28
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Beginning June 28, vaccinated tourists from the U.S. and other countries are expected to be permitted entry, just in time for the busy Fourth of July travel period.
While it seems likely that Switzerland will reopen soon — neighboring countries France and Italy already have — the Swiss government has yet to finalize its plan. The country is expected to make a final determination on June 23, so I would wait until after that date to book any nonrefundable trips.
Unlike its neighbors, Switzerland is not a member of the European Union. Still, the country is part of the Schengen Area, permitting free travel across its land borders.
Technically, COVID-19 entry restrictions still apply, however, so I’d recommend waiting for the policy update to become official before crossing into the country.
Once travel is officially permitted, you’ll be able to fly nonstop to Geneva (GVA) or Zurich (ZRH) from a handful of U.S. gateways.
Swiss International Air Lines offers the most flight options, with nonstops from cities like Boston (BOS), Chicago (ORD), Los Angeles (LAX), Miami (MIA), New York (JFK), Newark (EWR) and San Francisco (SFO). American Airlines, Delta and United all fly between the U.S. and Switzerland, too. As of this writing, nonstop flights are available on many dates from between $600 and $800 round-trip.
Switzerland is a fantastic year-round destination — while it may be too late for some travelers to visit this summer, with alternative trips already locked in, the country could be a great option for winter travel.
Personally, I’m eager to return to Zermatt — one of my favorite ski destinations, and the future home of what’s sure to be an incredible Ritz-Carlton resort.
Featured photo by Zach Honig/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.