The Ritz-Carlton will open its first European ski resort in Zermatt, Switzerland
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Luxury skiers, rejoice: Marriott is bringing its high-end Ritz-Carlton brand to the famed Swiss ski resort of Zermatt in 2026.
The chain partnered with Mario Julen — a Zermatt native and real estate developer and hotelier — to bring this project to life. His company, Matterhorn Peak AG, is responsible for many of the most famous projects in Zermatt and Gstaad, another high-end ski town in Switzerland.
When it opens, the 69-room luxury resort will be The Ritz-Carlton’s first ski resort in Europe and will boast jaw-dropping views of the town’s famous peak, the Matterhorn, from both its guest rooms and dining spaces.
View this post on Instagram
The property’s design is being led by AW², a Paris-based firm helmed by architects Reda Amalou and Stéphanie Ledoux, and it will “offer a refined take on the classic mountain chalet,” according to a statement from Marriott.
Aside from those amazing views, the hotel will offer two restaurants, two bars, an outdoor terrace for enjoying your food or drink in the fresh Alpine air and a private dining room.
And, of course, the hotel will have plenty of activities on offer with its ski-in, ski-out access to the surrounding mountains, a gym, a spa and both indoor and outdoor pools.
Even if you’re not a skier, there’s plenty to enjoy in Zermatt, as the town boasts plenty of cafes and bars (perfect for après-ski cocktails) and provides easy access to Cervinia in Italy. And, in the summer, there’s plenty to do for travelers who love adventure or are simply craving beautiful Alpine scenery.
The Ritz-Carlton, Zermatt will be the brand’s second Swiss property, with the other being The Ritz-Carlton Hotel de la Paix in Geneva.
Marriott has another high-end ski resort in Switzerland: the W Verbier. That property is a Category 8 in Marriott’s Bonvoy chart, so it stands to reason The Ritz-Carlton will match that rating. But starting room rates have not yet been announced, and anything could happen with Marriott’s Bonvoy chart between now and the resort’s projected 2026 opening. When it does open, though, you can expect cash rates to be very high, given the upscale vibe of the area and the fact that the resort will have under 70 rooms in total.
We’re excited to see such a landmark announcement from one of the world’s most well-regarded hotel brands — we just wish we didn’t have to wait five years (or more) to experience the Ritz-Carlton, Zermatt for ourselves.
Featured rendering courtesy of AW².
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees