Don’t miss this deal: Premium economy flights to Spain, some under $1000
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Earlier this morning, I advised travelers to save money by booking flights now to Costa Rica for travel this fall and winter, and it is here I will give the same advice regarding premium economy fares to Barcelona.
As more and more Americans head to Europe for summer vacations, you might want to consider delaying your trip a bit after the high tourism season passes to take advantage of discounted flights to Josep Tarradellas Barcelona-El Prat Airport (BCN).
It would be worth your while to take a look at discounted flights — which start at $900 round-trip from select U.S. cities to Spain — beginning in September through March.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Airlines: Air Canada, Lufthansa, American, British Airways, Delta, Iberia, United, Condor.
Routes: EWR/JFK/BOS/CRW/ORD/DTW/IND/JAN/JAX/MIA/RIC/PBI/IAD and others to BCN.
How to book: Directly through the airline.
Travel dates: Sept. 2022-March 2023, exact availability depends on the route and some include flights over the holidays.
Book by: 1-2 days.
We have to give major kudos to Scott’s Cheap Flights for originally alerting us of this deal. It’s an awesome service that sends deals up to 90% off to its Premium members; users can try the Premium membership for free for 14 days and then for $49 per year. They can also upgrade to the Elite tier for $199 per year to receive all the Premium deals plus premium economy, business-class and first-class alerts.
You can find round-trip flights departing from many U.S. cities to Barcelona ranging in price from $900 on the low end to $1,300 on the high end. Some available flights include those originating in:
- Los Angeles International Airport (LAX), starting at $931.
- Boston Logan International Airport (BOS), starting at $954.
- Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR), starting at $1,187.
- New York City’s LaGuardia Airport (LGA), starting at $1,193.
- Miami International Airport (MIA), starting at $1,198.
- Dulles International Airport (IAD) in Washington, D.C., starting at $1,248.
- St. Louis Lambert International Airport (STL)/Tampa International Airport (TPA)/Tuscon International Airport (TUS)/Tallahassee International Airport (TLH)/San Diego International Airport (SAN) and others, starting at $1,253.
- Akron-Canton Airport (CAK)/Asheville Regional Airport (AVL)/Augusta Regional Airport (AGS)/Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport (BHM)/West Virginia International Yeager Airport (CRW)/Charlottesville–Albemarle Airport (CHO)/Chattanooga Airport, and others starting at $1,255.
Search this deal by heading to Google Flights and entering your information based on your home airport and desired travel dates. For the sake of this story, I verified I could find a round-trip flight from LAX, priced as advertised at $931.
This is a particularly great flight because not only is it nonstop and less than $1,000, but it also flies to Barcelona over Thanksgiving, departing LAX the week of Thanksgiving and returning the following Monday. You’ll note that this flight is ticketed and operated by Iberia, though you can book the same flight through American for a higher price.
All flights in this deal are for the carrier’s premium economy fare type, the specifics of which vary by carrier. In general, you can expect at least two meals, slightly bigger seats, more legroom, priority boarding and two free checked bags.
Iberia premium economy fares can also be changed without a fee.
Similarly priced flights can be found out of Boston and New York City, though even the maximum priced flight in this deal is less than $400 more in total.
Maximize your purchase
Don’t forget to use a card that earns bonus points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5 points per dollar on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel), on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year, Citi Prestige® Card (5 points per dollar on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve (3 points per dollar on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3 points per dollar on airfare when booked directly with the airline or through Amex Travel) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2 points per dollar on travel). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
The information for the Citi Prestige Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
These prices for a premium economy experience are well worth booking in advance. Especially considering some routes include holiday availability, I would book quickly to take part in the fun.
Featured photo by Allan Baxter/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.