Amtrak relaunches USA Rail Pass just in time for summer adventures — with a steep, limited-time discount
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Summer is here, the COVID-19 vaccine is widely available, and Americans are ready to travel again.
But instead of taking a flight to one main destination, does the idea of a cross-country trip exploring the United States appeal to you? If so, you might want to take advantage of Amtrak’s current offer for the newly relaunched USA Rail Pass.
The USA Rail Pass is a multi-ride ticket that allows passengers to book any 10 rail segments over the course of 30 days, all for a flat rate. While the pass normally costs $499 per person, Amtrak is offering it for $299 — 40% off — through June 22.
If you buy the pass at the current discounted rate, that means each trip averages out to just about $30 — a stellar price for most trips. Rail pass customers are limited to Saver and Value coach fares — refundable and flexible fares are not eligible, nor are upgrades to private rooms or business class, including the Acela.
According to Amtrak, a “segment” is considered any time a passenger boards and exits a train, meaning that a trip involving a connection would use up two segments from the pass.
Once customers purchase the pass, they have 120 days to use it. When they book their first trip, the rest must be used within 30 days.
Amtrak says that the pass can be used to go to any of its 500 destinations, presenting the perfect opportunity to take an extended cross-country trip. Whether exploring Glacier National Park, Maine and Vermont, the California coast, the Southwest, or more — there are virtually unlimited options.
Amtrak Guest Rewards members will earn two points per dollar spent on the pass, meaning that if you buy it before June 22, you’ll get 598 points
Featured photo by EQRoy / Shutterstock.com
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees