Airbnb Releases 2017 Travel Trends and Predictions for 2018
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Become an Airbnb host here!
As the year comes to an end, some of us are already planning our 2018 vacations. In addition to considering where to go, we’re also thinking of where to stay. To add to the travel-planning discussion, today, Airbnb revealed the soon-to-be biggest travel destinations, Experiences and stays that everyone will be talking about in the new year. The home-rental company also released year-end analysis — making it clear what destinations saw surges in tourism over the course of 2017.
In addition to being featured on Instagram’s most-geotagged locations of 2017 list, these popular cities have made their way onto the most-booked global cities list on Airbnb. According to Airbnb, travel hotspots like New York, Paris and London top the list of most-booked cities while smaller, popular destinations like Lisbon and Miami are on the rise for the most-booked global cities for Airbnb travelers.
For travel inspiration in 2018, look no further than these trending locations. In light of the 2018 Winter Games, it’s no surprise that Gangneung, Korea tops the list of trending destinations. In the US, the Midwestern cities like Indianapolis, IN and Columbus, OH — in addition to international cities like Tokyo, Paris and Osaka — are among the strongest growth in bookings.
Over the past year, non-traditional homes have seen the largest increase in bookings. Airbnb travelers are staying in off-the-beaten-path-type places rather than typical city homes. Based on Airbnb data, more travelers are looking to experience nature firsthand in the new year with bookings for yurts (+155%), ryokans (+600%) and RV’s (+133%).
According to Airbnb, the most popular Experience (local activities lead by locals) for 2017 was dining-related — with food and drink accounting for 29% of total Experience bookings. Total weekly Experience guests have increased 20x over the year, and is growing steadily. Based on Airbnb’s forecast, under-the-radar outdoor excursions and live concerts will lead the market for Experiences in 2018. Unsurprisingly, millennials are leading the charge, with two-thirds of Experience bookers aged 35 and under.
Featured Image by @viktoriaalisevich via Twenty20
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.