This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Become an Airbnb host here!
As the year comes to an end, some of us are already planning our 2018 vacations. In addition to considering where to go, we’re also thinking of where to stay. To add to the travel-planning discussion, today, Airbnb revealed the soon-to-be biggest travel destinations, Experiences and stays that everyone will be talking about in the new year. The home-rental company also released year-end analysis — making it clear what destinations saw surges in tourism over the course of 2017.
In addition to being featured on Instagram’s most-geotagged locations of 2017 list, these popular cities have made their way onto the most-booked global cities list on Airbnb. According to Airbnb, travel hotspots like New York, Paris and London top the list of most-booked cities while smaller, popular destinations like Lisbon and Miami are on the rise for the most-booked global cities for Airbnb travelers.
For travel inspiration in 2018, look no further than these trending locations. In light of the 2018 Winter Games, it’s no surprise that Gangneung, Korea tops the list of trending destinations. In the US, the Midwestern cities like Indianapolis, IN and Columbus, OH — in addition to international cities like Tokyo, Paris and Osaka — are among the strongest growth in bookings.
Over the past year, non-traditional homes have seen the largest increase in bookings. Airbnb travelers are staying in off-the-beaten-path-type places rather than typical city homes. Based on Airbnb data, more travelers are looking to experience nature firsthand in the new year with bookings for yurts (+155%), ryokans (+600%) and RV’s (+133%).
According to Airbnb, the most popular Experience (local activities lead by locals) for 2017 was dining-related — with food and drink accounting for 29% of total Experience bookings. Total weekly Experience guests have increased 20x over the year, and is growing steadily. Based on Airbnb’s forecast, under-the-radar outdoor excursions and live concerts will lead the market for Experiences in 2018. Unsurprisingly, millennials are leading the charge, with two-thirds of Experience bookers aged 35 and under.
Featured Image by @viktoriaalisevich via Twenty20
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards