This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Become an Airbnb host here!
As the year comes to an end, some of us are already planning our 2018 vacations. In addition to considering where to go, we’re also thinking of where to stay. To add to the travel-planning discussion, today, Airbnb revealed the soon-to-be biggest travel destinations, Experiences and stays that everyone will be talking about in the new year. The home-rental company also released year-end analysis — making it clear what destinations saw surges in tourism over the course of 2017.
In addition to being featured on Instagram’s most-geotagged locations of 2017 list, these popular cities have made their way onto the most-booked global cities list on Airbnb. According to Airbnb, travel hotspots like New York, Paris and London top the list of most-booked cities while smaller, popular destinations like Lisbon and Miami are on the rise for the most-booked global cities for Airbnb travelers.
For travel inspiration in 2018, look no further than these trending locations. In light of the 2018 Winter Games, it’s no surprise that Gangneung, Korea tops the list of trending destinations. In the US, the Midwestern cities like Indianapolis, IN and Columbus, OH — in addition to international cities like Tokyo, Paris and Osaka — are among the strongest growth in bookings.
Over the past year, non-traditional homes have seen the largest increase in bookings. Airbnb travelers are staying in off-the-beaten-path-type places rather than typical city homes. Based on Airbnb data, more travelers are looking to experience nature firsthand in the new year with bookings for yurts (+155%), ryokans (+600%) and RV’s (+133%).
According to Airbnb, the most popular Experience (local activities lead by locals) for 2017 was dining-related — with food and drink accounting for 29% of total Experience bookings. Total weekly Experience guests have increased 20x over the year, and is growing steadily. Based on Airbnb’s forecast, under-the-radar outdoor excursions and live concerts will lead the market for Experiences in 2018. Unsurprisingly, millennials are leading the charge, with two-thirds of Experience bookers aged 35 and under.
Featured Image by @viktoriaalisevich via Twenty20
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees