Airbnb Releases 2017 Travel Trends and Predictions for 2018
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Become an Airbnb host here!
As the year comes to an end, some of us are already planning our 2018 vacations. In addition to considering where to go, we’re also thinking of where to stay. To add to the travel-planning discussion, today, Airbnb revealed the soon-to-be biggest travel destinations, Experiences and stays that everyone will be talking about in the new year. The home-rental company also released year-end analysis — making it clear what destinations saw surges in tourism over the course of 2017.
In addition to being featured on Instagram’s most-geotagged locations of 2017 list, these popular cities have made their way onto the most-booked global cities list on Airbnb. According to Airbnb, travel hotspots like New York, Paris and London top the list of most-booked cities while smaller, popular destinations like Lisbon and Miami are on the rise for the most-booked global cities for Airbnb travelers.
For travel inspiration in 2018, look no further than these trending locations. In light of the 2018 Winter Games, it’s no surprise that Gangneung, Korea tops the list of trending destinations. In the US, the Midwestern cities like Indianapolis, IN and Columbus, OH — in addition to international cities like Tokyo, Paris and Osaka — are among the strongest growth in bookings.
Over the past year, non-traditional homes have seen the largest increase in bookings. Airbnb travelers are staying in off-the-beaten-path-type places rather than typical city homes. Based on Airbnb data, more travelers are looking to experience nature firsthand in the new year with bookings for yurts (+155%), ryokans (+600%) and RV’s (+133%).
According to Airbnb, the most popular Experience (local activities lead by locals) for 2017 was dining-related — with food and drink accounting for 29% of total Experience bookings. Total weekly Experience guests have increased 20x over the year, and is growing steadily. Based on Airbnb’s forecast, under-the-radar outdoor excursions and live concerts will lead the market for Experiences in 2018. Unsurprisingly, millennials are leading the charge, with two-thirds of Experience bookers aged 35 and under.
Featured Image by @viktoriaalisevich via Twenty20
WELCOME OFFER: 30,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: up to $100 annual CLEAR statement credit, up to $100 annual LoungeBuddy statement credit, 3x points on travel and transit, 3x points on restaurants worldwide
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees