Airbnb Launches NYC Tours With Help From Sarah Jessica Parker
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airbnb is launching local tours and other experiences in New York City this week, with one listing promising “an unforgettable shoe-shopping experience” — fittingly led by Sex & the City actress Sarah Jessica Parker. For the cool price of $400 per person, Parker will be taking four guests shoe-shopping at Bloomingdale’s 59th Street, with a stop at the department store’s Forty Carrots cafe for the city’s best frozen yogurt.
According to the Associated Press, each participant will get a pair of shoes from her SJP Collection at Bloomingdales. As if a new pair of shoes and frozen treats weren’t enough, guests will conclude their day with a VIP experience at the New York City Ballet. SJP’s listing — which appears to be sold out already— is one of several Airbnb limited-time “experiences” offered in New York by celebrities for charity. In Parker’s case, the money from the experience tour will go to the New York City Ballet, where Parker is a board member.
The New York City experiences have been listed as part of Airbnb’s larger “Trips” platform, but a majority of the “Experience” listings were in Harlem. Starting today, visitors and locals can book more than 150 Experiences across all five boroughs, from about $10 to over $100. Except for the social impact experiences — like Parker’s, where 100% percent goes to charity — hosts get 80% of the experience fee and Airbnb the rest. Here are some of the upcoming NYC tours we’re looking forward to.
Street Dancing in the South Bronx
Break out your latest dance moves and learn all you need to know about street dancing in the South Bronx through this NYC experience hosted by the Bronx Street Dancers. Guest will gather at the Hub, the renowned South Bronx intersection, and meet local hip-hop dancers to learn the history and style of this performative art style. This 2.5-hour tour is $49 per participant.
Walk through NYC’s tattoo history
Enjoy a private tour of NYC tattoo history starting at Daredevil Tattoo shop on the Lower East Side, home to one of the most significant collections of tattoo memorabilia in the world. The tour includes time on the Bowery, the birthplace of modern American tattooing where the first electric tattoo machine was invented. This two-hour tour is $60 per person.
Polaroids on Prince
Experience a one-hour vintage style Polaroid tour around Soho streets. First meet up with your host — a Harlem native and polaroid photographer who has shot everyone from clients like Cartier and Nike to passerby’s on the street — at one of Soho’s local cafes. Learn how to operate a manual Polaroid cameras while also learning to capture your own street style portrait. This social experience ends with two portraits: one that you’ve taken and another that the host has snapped with his expert eye. 90 minutes for $30 per person.
Bikes and Bites
Hosted by the founder of Bike Harlem, guests will ride through uptown institutions that characterize this historic neighborhood. The tour is approximately 10 miles and includes stops at churches, jazz clubs, historic architecture sites and eateries— all which showcase some of the area’s most significant icons. Guest will will experience firsthand the Harlem Renaissance and get a taste of the local hot spots; the 4.5 hour tour is $79 per person.
Check out this video of Experience NYC with Locals
Featured image by Getty Images
What Airbnb experience would you try? Let us know in the comments below.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees