Airbnb Launches NYC Tours With Help From Sarah Jessica Parker
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airbnb is launching local tours and other experiences in New York City this week, with one listing promising “an unforgettable shoe-shopping experience” — fittingly led by Sex & the City actress Sarah Jessica Parker. For the cool price of $400 per person, Parker will be taking four guests shoe-shopping at Bloomingdale’s 59th Street, with a stop at the department store’s Forty Carrots cafe for the city’s best frozen yogurt.
According to the Associated Press, each participant will get a pair of shoes from her SJP Collection at Bloomingdales. As if a new pair of shoes and frozen treats weren’t enough, guests will conclude their day with a VIP experience at the New York City Ballet. SJP’s listing — which appears to be sold out already— is one of several Airbnb limited-time “experiences” offered in New York by celebrities for charity. In Parker’s case, the money from the experience tour will go to the New York City Ballet, where Parker is a board member.
The New York City experiences have been listed as part of Airbnb’s larger “Trips” platform, but a majority of the “Experience” listings were in Harlem. Starting today, visitors and locals can book more than 150 Experiences across all five boroughs, from about $10 to over $100. Except for the social impact experiences — like Parker’s, where 100% percent goes to charity — hosts get 80% of the experience fee and Airbnb the rest. Here are some of the upcoming NYC tours we’re looking forward to.
Street Dancing in the South Bronx
Break out your latest dance moves and learn all you need to know about street dancing in the South Bronx through this NYC experience hosted by the Bronx Street Dancers. Guest will gather at the Hub, the renowned South Bronx intersection, and meet local hip-hop dancers to learn the history and style of this performative art style. This 2.5-hour tour is $49 per participant.
Walk through NYC’s tattoo history
Enjoy a private tour of NYC tattoo history starting at Daredevil Tattoo shop on the Lower East Side, home to one of the most significant collections of tattoo memorabilia in the world. The tour includes time on the Bowery, the birthplace of modern American tattooing where the first electric tattoo machine was invented. This two-hour tour is $60 per person.
Polaroids on Prince
Experience a one-hour vintage style Polaroid tour around Soho streets. First meet up with your host — a Harlem native and polaroid photographer who has shot everyone from clients like Cartier and Nike to passerby’s on the street — at one of Soho’s local cafes. Learn how to operate a manual Polaroid cameras while also learning to capture your own street style portrait. This social experience ends with two portraits: one that you’ve taken and another that the host has snapped with his expert eye. 90 minutes for $30 per person.
Bikes and Bites
Hosted by the founder of Bike Harlem, guests will ride through uptown institutions that characterize this historic neighborhood. The tour is approximately 10 miles and includes stops at churches, jazz clubs, historic architecture sites and eateries— all which showcase some of the area’s most significant icons. Guest will will experience firsthand the Harlem Renaissance and get a taste of the local hot spots; the 4.5 hour tour is $79 per person.
Check out this video of Experience NYC with Locals
Featured image by Getty Images
What Airbnb experience would you try? Let us know in the comments below.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.