Airbnb Now Allows Group Travelers to Split Costs of Rentals
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
There’s nothing better than going on vacation with friends and family and sharing new memories. But when it comes to splitting the bill at the end of the trip, well, that’s something not everyone loves — except for the organizer who likely helped to foot the bill at the beginning. Airbnb has introduced a new feature to alleviate this; beginning today, you can split the bill with everyone at the time of booking an Airbnb.
The new feature allows one person to book an Airbnb and after that, there’s a page where you can invite friends to split the cost. The organizer pays their share and the booking will be placed on hold until everyone in the party has fulfilled their payment. If everyone doesn’t fulfill the payment before the deadline within 72 hours of the booking, the reservation will be forfeited and everyone will get their money back.
Around Christmastime last year, Airbnb co-founder and CEO Chesky tweeted: “If @Airbnb could launch anything in 2017, what would it be?” The overwhelming response was a group payment method. Airbnb is the first accommodation provider to offer a split payment feature, but the concept is not new. Ride-sharing companies like Uber and Lyft both have split fare features and Uber says it is one of the most utilized feature on its app.
If @Airbnb could launch anything in 2017, what would it be?
— Brian Chesky (@bchesky) December 26, 2016
According to Airbnb, the most popular destinations for group bookings in the US (five or more people are traveling together) are Los Angeles, Nashville, Las Vegas, Kissimmee, Florida and New York City. As far as group travel around the globe goes: Tokyo, London, Paris and Rome are the most popular destinations for groups.
According to an Airbnb survey of 2,000 American travelers, 79% have been on group trips in the last five years. 52% report that they’ve fronted $500 or more and 31% have fronted more than $1,000. The new feature hopes to alleviate the financial burden on one person paying for lodging. It will also offer more listings that would otherwise fall outside the organizer’s what the organizer may be able to afford.
A pilot program of the new tool was launched in June, 2017 and over 80,000 groups successfully split payments for their travel from all over the world.
Photo by @rycette via Twenty20
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees