By the Numbers: Flying Around the World Twice in Three Weeks
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
I’ve had the chance to experience some pretty wild itineraries in my lifetime, but nothing quite like this. Over the past three weeks, I’ve flown a whopping 42,753 miles, circling the globe twice before finally returning home to New York City in time for Thanksgiving. And it was all for work!
I tallied up some of my stats along the way, including everything from flight distance to the number of miles I walked over the course of these three weeks on the road (nearly 191!). It’s been one hell of a ride, and I’m about to fly around the world two more times before 2017 is through, so stay tuned for some very exciting coverage to come.
So, let’s see where I landed after my final flight this Saturday…
Longest flight: 8,770 miles (Los Angeles-Singapore)
Shortest flight: 201 miles (Boston-Newark)
Total miles flown: 42,753
Total redeemable miles earned: 71,558
Number of in-flight meals: 18
Hours of in-flight sleep: 34
Airlines flown: Emirates, Finnair, Korean Air, Lufthansa, Turkish and United
You can view the full flight breakdown here.
Hotel stays: 7
Total hotel nights: 17
Number of aircraft tours: 10
Total photos and videos captured: 10,246
Instagram posts: 191
Cups of coffee: 52
Runs at Ski Dubai: 21
Most steps in one day: 43,164
Most miles in one day: 18.7
Total miles walked: 190.7
With all of the food I eat during flights and on the ground, getting significant exercise is key. Time permitting, I always walk instead of taking a cab, and I use almost all of my free time to explore the cities I’m visiting — I almost never turn on a hotel room TV, except in the gym, which I try to visit daily in addition to my walking adventures. As a result, not only did I not gain any weight despite eating a lot of amazing food on this trip, I actually lost about five pounds!
I love seeing and flying on new planes, but for me it’s the experiences on the ground, and the connections I make with people — both professional and personal — that matter most.
Aside from a fun Google Translate-d conversation with my Turkish seatmate from Istanbul to New York (see above), here are some of the posts covering the highlights of my 2x round-the-world adventure:
- Check Out Emirates’ Fancy New Airbus A380 In-Flight Bar
- Flight Review: Finnair (A350) Business Class From Singapore to Helsinki
- The Best Meal I’ve Ever Had on a US Airline
- What It Was Like to Sit in the Nose on United’s Final 747 Flight
- Emirates Hit a Home Run With This Incredible New First-Class Suite
- This Incredible Private Dreamliner Is the Ultimate $300 Million Flying Home
- Step Aboard Emirates’ Suites-Equipped Airbus A319 Private Jet
- My Experience Successfully Entering Turkey En-Route to the US
Beginning next week, I’ll be flying around the world two more times, including a trip in Emirates’ fantastic new first-class suite on the December 1 inaugural flight. You can follow along in real time on Twitter and Instagram — I’ll be posting on both platforms throughout each day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.