This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Singapore Airlines just unveiled a marvelous update to its already amazing first-class suites. With a huge swivel chair and a completely separate bed, this definitely is one of the best products in the sky.
The recently developed suites will roll out on December 18, 2017 on Singapore’s new A380 flying the route between Singapore (SIN) and Sydney (SYD). Singapore will be receiving five new A380s with the updated first-class product, although the airline has not made public what other routes they will fly on.
If you’re eager to try the new suites, here’s how you can book them with miles:
- First, you’ll need to log in to your Singapore KrisFlyer account. If you aren’t already a member, you can create an account for free.
- Then you’ll need to transfer points in from a credit card rewards account. American Express Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards, Citi ThankYou Points and Starwood Preferred Guest Starpoints can all be transferred in to Singapore’s KrisFlyer program at a 1:1 ratio.
- And if you’re lacking points in any of these programs, you can get yourself off to a good start with a proper sign-up bonus. Cards like the Chase Sapphire Reserve and Chase Sapphire Preferred both have 50,000 point sign-up bonus after spending $4,000 in the first three months of account opening. The American Express Platinum has a 60,000 point sign-up bonus after spending $5,000 in the first three months. And lastly the Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from Amex currently has a 25,000-point bonus after spending $3,000 in the first three months.
- Once the transfer is complete, you can book the award flight. Right now, according to Singapore’s award chart, at the saver level the suite goes for 80,000 miles one-way on the Singapore to Sydney route. Unfortunately, we aren’t seeing any availability for saver awards, so unless you find saver availability you’ll have to book at the higher rate of 150,000 miles (plus about $49 in taxes). One-way flights are going for about $4,000, so you’d still be getting a decent value even when booking at the higher rate. Make sure you choose the flight that leaves Singapore at 8:40pm, as that is the A380 with the new suites. If you’re departing from Sydney, the flight at 12:15pm will have the new product as well.
If you don’t want to go all out on the Suites, you can try Singapore’s new business seat, which doesn’t look too shabby itself.
Biz seats at the saver level are easier to come by and will cost you 58,000 miles, but you might have to put yourself on the waitlist. Again, keep in mind that these seats are only on the SIN to SYD flight departing at 8:40pm or the SYD to SIN flight departing at 12:15pm.
If you want to experience flying in what feels like a private mini-cabin but can’t make it to Sydney or Singapore anytime soon, you can still fly the older suite from New York (JFK) to Frankfurt (FRA). If you can find seats at the saver rate, you’ll only shell out 76,000 miles one-way plus taxes.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Up to $200 for Uber rides annually. Credit and Uber VIP status available to Basic Card Member only.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on eligible hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- As a Platinum Card Member, you can enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees