Qantas to Replace 747 With 787-9 for Flights to Los Angeles, New York
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
With Delta and United set to retire the last of their 747s by the end of the year, the only Jumbo Jets serving the US will be with overseas airlines. Sadly, we are about to lose one of these surviving 747s.
Currently, Qantas runs a 747 route from Brisbane (BNE) to Los Angeles (LAX), with the same aircraft continuing onward from LAX to New York (JFK), before returning on the same route to LAX and BNE. But Qantas is phasing out its 747s, and we learned Monday that on this route, the Queen of the Skies will be replaced with a 787-9 “by the end of 2018,” the airline said.
This route will become Qantas’ third international connection with the 787-9. The airline is taking delivery of its first 787 Monday in Seattle, and plans to introduce it first to domestic routes for crew familiarization. The first international route will be Melbourne (MEL)-Los Angeles beginning December 15. That will be followed by the newest longest route in the world: Perth (PER)-London (LHR) starting March 24, 2018.
This new announcement means two of the first three Qantas 787-9 routes will be to the United States. But, Qantas doesn’t plan to stop there. Wanting to maximize its new super-efficient long-range aircraft, Qantas CEO Alan Joyce teased: “In addition we want to fly somewhere new in the States – that could be Seattle, it could be Chicago, it could be Dallas.”
Seattle and Chicago would be fascinating new route possibilities, but it’s peculiar that Joyce mentions Dallas. Qantas already operates daily flights from Sydney (SYD) to Dallas (DFW) using a massive 484-seat Airbus A380. It’d be interesting to see if Qantas were to launch another route to Dallas, headquarters of its alliance partner American Airlines. However, rumors have been swirling that Qantas might launch a route from Brisbane to Dallas.
Unfortunately though, the nonstop flight Qantas wants from Australia to New York City will have to wait for a new, even longer-range aircraft.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees