This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The first-ever nonstop flight between Europe and Australia is set to take off in March 2018, clocking in at a whopping 17 and a half hours long. Qantas plans to operate the more than 9,000-mile route between London (LHR) and Perth (PER) — the new holder of the title of world’s longest nonstop flight — with one of its new Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft. The first of the airline’s eight Dreamliners on order exited Boeing’s paint shop Wednesday night.
The 789 features Qantas’ new livery, which has been nicknamed Silveroo. More than 250 liters of paint were used to cover the entire aircraft. The paint adds 200 kilos, or about 440 pounds, of weight to the aircraft, Qantas said. In total, the paint job took four days to complete.
As announced in 2016, Qantas’ 789 will offer a three-class configuration: business, premium economy and economy. More specifically, it’ll feature 42 business seats in a 1-2-1 configuration, 28 premium economy seats in a 2-3-2 configuration and 166 economy seats in a 3-3-3 configuration.
The first 787 for Qantas still has some additional tests that need to be run before it’s officially delivered on October 16, at a ceremony in Seattle that The Points Guy will attend. When the first of its eight Dreamliners is delivered, it will complete a period of domestic flying for crew familiarization before beginning service between Los Angeles (LAX) and Melbourne (MEL) in December. Look for our reviews of the business and premium economy products in early December.
When Qantas launches the world’s longest route next year, it’ll have four Dreamliners in its fleet.
All images by Qantas.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees