Here Are the First Photos of the Qantas 787 That Will Fly the World’s Longest Route
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The first-ever nonstop flight between Europe and Australia is set to take off in March 2018, clocking in at a whopping 17 and a half hours long. Qantas plans to operate the more than 9,000-mile route between London (LHR) and Perth (PER) — the new holder of the title of world’s longest nonstop flight — with one of its new Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft. The first of the airline’s eight Dreamliners on order exited Boeing’s paint shop Wednesday night.
The 789 features Qantas’ new livery, which has been nicknamed Silveroo. More than 250 liters of paint were used to cover the entire aircraft. The paint adds 200 kilos, or about 440 pounds, of weight to the aircraft, Qantas said. In total, the paint job took four days to complete.
As announced in 2016, Qantas’ 789 will offer a three-class configuration: business, premium economy and economy. More specifically, it’ll feature 42 business seats in a 1-2-1 configuration, 28 premium economy seats in a 2-3-2 configuration and 166 economy seats in a 3-3-3 configuration.
The first 787 for Qantas still has some additional tests that need to be run before it’s officially delivered on October 16, at a ceremony in Seattle that The Points Guy will attend. When the first of its eight Dreamliners is delivered, it will complete a period of domestic flying for crew familiarization before beginning service between Los Angeles (LAX) and Melbourne (MEL) in December. Look for our reviews of the business and premium economy products in early December.
When Qantas launches the world’s longest route next year, it’ll have four Dreamliners in its fleet.
All images by Qantas.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees