Here Are the First Photos of the Qantas 787 That Will Fly the World’s Longest Route
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The first-ever nonstop flight between Europe and Australia is set to take off in March 2018, clocking in at a whopping 17 and a half hours long. Qantas plans to operate the more than 9,000-mile route between London (LHR) and Perth (PER) — the new holder of the title of world’s longest nonstop flight — with one of its new Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft. The first of the airline’s eight Dreamliners on order exited Boeing’s paint shop Wednesday night.
The 789 features Qantas’ new livery, which has been nicknamed Silveroo. More than 250 liters of paint were used to cover the entire aircraft. The paint adds 200 kilos, or about 440 pounds, of weight to the aircraft, Qantas said. In total, the paint job took four days to complete.
As announced in 2016, Qantas’ 789 will offer a three-class configuration: business, premium economy and economy. More specifically, it’ll feature 42 business seats in a 1-2-1 configuration, 28 premium economy seats in a 2-3-2 configuration and 166 economy seats in a 3-3-3 configuration.
The first 787 for Qantas still has some additional tests that need to be run before it’s officially delivered on October 16, at a ceremony in Seattle that The Points Guy will attend. When the first of its eight Dreamliners is delivered, it will complete a period of domestic flying for crew familiarization before beginning service between Los Angeles (LAX) and Melbourne (MEL) in December. Look for our reviews of the business and premium economy products in early December.
When Qantas launches the world’s longest route next year, it’ll have four Dreamliners in its fleet.
All images by Qantas.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.