This Celebrity Chef Has Helped Feed Over 1 Million People in Puerto Rico
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
After the devastating earthquake in Haiti back in 2010, chef José Andrés founded World Central Kitchen with the belief that food can be an agent of change. Together with a group of chefs working together to personally eliminate hunger and poverty, Andrés’ organization has expanded globally and when Hurricane Maria hit Puerto Rico in September, the Spanish chef once again sprung to action, setting up satellite kitchens across Puerto Rico, with the largest operation headquartered in San Juan’s Coliseo.
Together with his network of #ChefsForPuertoRico, they set up 15 kitchens — powered by the help of 500 volunteers — and partnered with 10 food trucks to deploy more than 120,000 meals to people in need on a daily basis, with a reach of 78 municipalities across the island.
Today, October 18, it was announced that World Central Kitchen has fed one million people in Puerto Rico.
Andrés’ network of chefs include many from Puerto Rico, including Jose Enrique (Jose Enrique Restaurant), Enrique Piñeiro (Mesa 364), Victor Rosado (Treehouse), Wilo Bennett (Pikayo) and Manolo Martinez (Paellas y algo más). The team also utilized food trucks to help distribute meals to hard-to-reach areas and partners include Ocean Deli, High Kitchen, Lemon Submarine, Pisco Labis, El Churry, Yummy Dumplings, Peko Peko, Acai On The Go, The Meatball Company, Dame Un Bite and Instituto de Banca y Comercio.
Check out the chef and his team in action in the video below.
To further support this effort, please visit worldcentralkitchen.org/donate.
All photos courtesy of José Andrés via Facebook.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees