Spirit Airlines Teams up With AvGeeks for Puerto Rico Relief
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Chris Sloan of Airways Magazine — a friend of the site — teamed up with AvGeeks and Spirit Airlines to deliver relief aid to Puerto Rico, and to assist our fellow US citizens in desperate need of evacuation. They’ve now been at it for more than two weeks — you can follow the group’s progress on this Facebook page.
The group put together this incredible video documenting their efforts, and the needs of our Puerto Rican neighbors. It’s absolutely worth five minutes of your time, but be warned — this is definitely a tearjerker. I was a mess three minutes in.
There’s still plenty of work to do and I wouldn’t be surprised to see relief efforts like this continue for months, given that many Puerto Ricans will be without electricity and even running water for some time to come. Fortunately, you can make a tremendous difference of your own without leaving home.
From a group update today:
We just crossed $150,000 in cash donations plus over $40,000 in supplies! Thank You to all who have donated! And if you haven’t, there’s still time. This weekend marks our final push for donations and packing Care Packages of food, hygiene products, tarps, and flashlights. $58 feeds a family of five for a week. And we need all the money we can get for water which is in very short supply in our region. We are flying at least 20,000 pounds to Puerto Rico each week and is delivered straight into mouths and hands of those indeed. [sic]
They’re still about $45,000 shy of their $200,000 goal, but you can help close the gap by donating here.
I was blown away by the efforts of JetBlue, United Airlines and others in Puerto Rico — much of which I was able to witness first hand in San Juan last week. Operation Puerto Rico Care-Lift is one of the most generous efforts to date — I’m so proud of all of our colleagues involved.
For more on relief efforts in Puerto Rico, see:
- Earn up to 100,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs). Earn 80,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 20,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- New! With Status Boost™, earn 15,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $30,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to four times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- New! Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Complimentary access into the Delta SkyClubs® for you when traveling on a Delta flight.
- New! Enjoy complimentary access to The Centurion® Lounge when you book your Delta flight with your Reserve Card.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees