Here’s How You Can Help Those Affected by Hurricane Harvey
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hurricane Harvey’s devastating deluge on Houston and the Texas Gulf coast area has caused severe damage, leaving many in its path in desperate need of relief. The storm, which the National Weather Service is calling “unprecedented,” has left the area in a state of disaster.
Thus far, relief efforts have focused on getting those in danger to safety — rescuing people trapped in their homes and cars from drowning. Several airlines and travel companies have done their part to help, such as Southwest airlifting almost 500 employees and customers from Houston’s Hobby Airport (HOU) and Airbnb offering stays at no cost for those in need.
But the area is going to need much more help in order to fully recover — something that will likely take months, if not years to do. So, we’re signing up to do our part to help. I’m proud to announce that as a company, The Points Guy is donating $10,000 to the Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund via GlobalGiving.
Initially, the Fund is using donations to help first responders meet survivors’ immediate needs for food, fuel, clean water, hygiene products and shelter. Then, once the initial relief work is done, the Fund will donate the money it’s raised to local organizations, which will know what the affected communities need most urgently.
You can help the survivors of Hurricane Harvey, too. The easiest way to help is to donate. Donate whatever you can — $15 or $5,000. GlobalGiving and other charities desperately need the money to help save those still in danger and to repair the damage down the line. If you’re looking to donate cash, remember that American Airlines and United Airlines have also set up donation campaigns, which allow you to earn up to 10 miles per dollar donated. Other ways you can help include donating blood, providing accommodation for evacuees if you live in the area or donating food.
In times of tragedy like this, it’s easy to hang our heads and think we can’t individually help all of those in need. But, if we all come together and chip in — no matter how big or small — it can make a world of difference. I encourage you to donate or do whatever you can to help the people affected by Hurricane Harvey.
Featured image by Joe Raedle via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees