Here’s How You Can Help Those Affected by Hurricane Harvey
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hurricane Harvey’s devastating deluge on Houston and the Texas Gulf coast area has caused severe damage, leaving many in its path in desperate need of relief. The storm, which the National Weather Service is calling “unprecedented,” has left the area in a state of disaster.
Thus far, relief efforts have focused on getting those in danger to safety — rescuing people trapped in their homes and cars from drowning. Several airlines and travel companies have done their part to help, such as Southwest airlifting almost 500 employees and customers from Houston’s Hobby Airport (HOU) and Airbnb offering stays at no cost for those in need.
But the area is going to need much more help in order to fully recover — something that will likely take months, if not years to do. So, we’re signing up to do our part to help. I’m proud to announce that as a company, The Points Guy is donating $10,000 to the Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund via GlobalGiving.
Initially, the Fund is using donations to help first responders meet survivors’ immediate needs for food, fuel, clean water, hygiene products and shelter. Then, once the initial relief work is done, the Fund will donate the money it’s raised to local organizations, which will know what the affected communities need most urgently.
You can help the survivors of Hurricane Harvey, too. The easiest way to help is to donate. Donate whatever you can — $15 or $5,000. GlobalGiving and other charities desperately need the money to help save those still in danger and to repair the damage down the line. If you’re looking to donate cash, remember that American Airlines and United Airlines have also set up donation campaigns, which allow you to earn up to 10 miles per dollar donated. Other ways you can help include donating blood, providing accommodation for evacuees if you live in the area or donating food.
In times of tragedy like this, it’s easy to hang our heads and think we can’t individually help all of those in need. But, if we all come together and chip in — no matter how big or small — it can make a world of difference. I encourage you to donate or do whatever you can to help the people affected by Hurricane Harvey.
Featured image by Joe Raedle via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.