This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hurricane Harvey, now downgraded to a tropical storm, continues to devastate the Eastern part of Texas. While the top sustained winds have dropped to 45 mph, the storm continues to dump enormous amounts of rain on top of already flooded areas. Many areas have already hit record flood levels:
An additional 20 inches of rain is still expected to fall across some parts of the already flooded area:
The rising waters and continued rain have shut down four airports in the area, including Houston’s Hobby (HOU) airport through Wednesday morning:
People battling the rising waters could certainly use a hand, and you can send money to help fund organizations providing shelter, food and drink, and even flying rescuers into the area to assist.
Thankfully, airlines are stepping up. Here are the airlines currently offering miles for donations:
AA is offering 10 AAdvantage miles for every $1 donated to the American Red Cross from August 24 through September 24. Minimum donation of $25 applies. All major credit cards and PayPal are accepted. Terms state that “mileage will appear on mileage statements within 30 days of donations being made.”
United is offering a tiered mileage bonus for those donating to Airlink:
- Donate $50-$99 – Earn 250 bonus miles (up to 5x miles per $1 for $50 donation)
- Donate $100-$249 – Earn 500 bonus miles (up to 5x miles per $1 for $100 donation)
- Donate $250 or more – Earn 1,000 bonus miles (up to 4x miles per $1 for $250 donation)
Although it’s unclear on the donations page, the same offer is also available for donations to: Operation USA, Americares or the American Red Cross. You’ll see these offers in the terms and conditions on the donation details page instead of the initial landing page.
For those not working on meeting a minimum spend on a credit card, use the best non-bonus category credit card for your situation. Based on TPG’s valuations, the Blue Business Plus Credit Card from American Express’s 2x Membership Rewards or Chase Freedom Unlimited’s 1.5x Ultimate Rewards points would be the two most rewarding choices.
We will continue to update this page as we see other donation offers. Please share below if you’ve found another program.
Featured image by Joe Raedle / Getty Images
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees