This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
With news breaking today of St. Maarten’s plans to put the kibosh on fence surfing at Princess Juliana Airport (SXM), we decided to take a look back at the potentially deadly activity of standing in the path of jet blasts from departing aircraft, which has become legendary in the world of AvGeeks and plane spotters.
In this crazy aviation video, tourists on St. Maarten’s Maho Beach turn their beach towels into parachutes as they feel the wrath of a departing jet. Though we can’t see the plane taking off, we still know exactly what’s going on here. If you find yourself at SXM any time soon and want to do some plane spotting or even try fence surfing, be sure to be extremely cautious, especially in light of the recent accident at the airport.
Featured image of tourists feeling the blast on Maho Beach courtesy of Chris Favero via Flickr.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards