Tourists Feel Jet Blast at St. Maarten’s Maho Beach
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
With news breaking today of St. Maarten’s plans to put the kibosh on fence surfing at Princess Juliana Airport (SXM), we decided to take a look back at the potentially deadly activity of standing in the path of jet blasts from departing aircraft, which has become legendary in the world of AvGeeks and plane spotters.
In this crazy aviation video, tourists on St. Maarten’s Maho Beach turn their beach towels into parachutes as they feel the wrath of a departing jet. Though we can’t see the plane taking off, we still know exactly what’s going on here. If you find yourself at SXM any time soon and want to do some plane spotting or even try fence surfing, be sure to be extremely cautious, especially in light of the recent accident at the airport.
Featured image of tourists feeling the blast on Maho Beach courtesy of Chris Favero via Flickr.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.