This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
With news breaking today of St. Maarten’s plans to put the kibosh on fence surfing at Princess Juliana Airport (SXM), we decided to take a look back at the potentially deadly activity of standing in the path of jet blasts from departing aircraft, which has become legendary in the world of AvGeeks and plane spotters.
In this crazy aviation video, tourists on St. Maarten’s Maho Beach turn their beach towels into parachutes as they feel the wrath of a departing jet. Though we can’t see the plane taking off, we still know exactly what’s going on here. If you find yourself at SXM any time soon and want to do some plane spotting or even try fence surfing, be sure to be extremely cautious, especially in light of the recent accident at the airport.
Featured image of tourists feeling the blast on Maho Beach courtesy of Chris Favero via Flickr.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees