SXM Accident Compels Authorities to Limit Access to Planespotters
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Most Avgeeks dream of plane spotting and ‘fence surfing’ at Maho Beach, adjacent to the runway at Princess Juliana Airport in St. Maarten (SXM). However, it looks like the days of getting up close and personal with jet blasts from departing aircraft are limited: St. Martin News Network is reporting that the local government will reroute traffic away from the road that runs in between the end of the runway and the beginning of the beach, signaling that it’s going to try to end this decades-old hobby. It’s not intending, however, to cut off access to the beach.
The crackdown comes about a week after a New Zealand tourist lost her life from jet blast-related injuries at Maho Beach. Danger signs are present to warn beachgoers about potential injury or death from getting too close to jet blasts, though currently there is no physical barrier preventing those who want to fence surf from doing so.
We reached out to the government of St. Maarten for comment, and it does seem that its end goal is to completely restrict access to the potentially dangerous area, perhaps by moving the existing fencing farther away from the end of the runway. However, according to the official we spoke with, it could be weeks or months before anything changes. If you’ve been wanting to planespot at SXM, you’d be wise to book your ticket as soon as possible.
Featured image courtesy of alljengi via Flickr.
H/T: Lufthansa Flyer
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.