This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Most Avgeeks dream of plane spotting and ‘fence surfing’ at Maho Beach, adjacent to the runway at Princess Juliana Airport in St. Maarten (SXM). However, it looks like the days of getting up close and personal with jet blasts from departing aircraft are limited: St. Martin News Network is reporting that the local government will reroute traffic away from the road that runs in between the end of the runway and the beginning of the beach, signaling that it’s going to try to end this decades-old hobby. It’s not intending, however, to cut off access to the beach.
The crackdown comes about a week after a New Zealand tourist lost her life from jet blast-related injuries at Maho Beach. Danger signs are present to warn beachgoers about potential injury or death from getting too close to jet blasts, though currently there is no physical barrier preventing those who want to fence surf from doing so.
We reached out to the government of St. Maarten for comment, and it does seem that its end goal is to completely restrict access to the potentially dangerous area, perhaps by moving the existing fencing farther away from the end of the runway. However, according to the official we spoke with, it could be weeks or months before anything changes. If you’ve been wanting to planespot at SXM, you’d be wise to book your ticket as soon as possible.
Featured image courtesy of alljengi via Flickr.
H/T: Lufthansa Flyer
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees