This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
There are plenty of reasons to visit St. Maarten — crystal clear waters, beautiful beaches, relaxed Caribbean lifestyle and…plane spotting? Yes, plane spotting. The Caribbean island holds a special place in the hearts of aviation enthusiasts everywhere because its main airport, Princess Juliana International Airport (SXM) is located adjacent to Maho Beach, a sun drenched beach where plane spotters can ditch the sneakers and binoculars for flip-flops and bathing suits to experience airplanes taking off from a front row seat.
In this installment of crazy aviation videos, we wanted to show you the scene at Maho Beach during a takeoff. As this InselAir MD-80 commercial aircraft begins its takeoff roll, bystanders run to the fence to experience the takeoff from about as close as they can get without stepping on the runway. As the aircraft gathers speed, the beachgoers cling to the fence — and their belongings — so they don’t get blown away in the process.
Have you experienced a takeoff (or landing) in St. Maarten?
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards