50,000 Bonus Points Targeted at Amex Business Platinum Users
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
If you currently hold The Business Platinum Card from American Express OPEN, you’ll definitely want to take a close look through the email that’s arrived in your inbox in the last 24 hours. That’s because a number of Business Platinum cardmembers are reporting being targeted for an extremely sweet spending bonus right now.
The Points Guy Editor-in-Chief Zach Honig is one of the lucky ones who received the following from American Express:
As you can see, there’s no link to enroll in this offer; you’re only eligible if you received the email directly from American Express, and it only appears on the business version of the Platinum card — not the personal one. If you’re looking for it in your inbox, the subject format starts with your first name, followed by the words “earn 50,000 extra points with your Business Platinum Card®.”
For those targeted, the first half of this offer presents an excellent opportunity to pick up a large haul of 40,000 Amex Membership Rewards points for only $5,000 in spend. You’ll effectively be getting 8 bonus points per dollar on those purchases (plus the 1x base point as well). Whether the additional 10,000 points is worth spending another $5,000 is a tougher call, though it does represent a total of 3x points per dollar spent if you include the base dollar on all purchases.
Remember also that if you spend $5,000 in a single transaction on the Business Platinum card, you get 1.5x points for that purchase instead of just 1 point. That would add an extra half-point per dollar to your total if you’re able to take advantage of the offer that way. You’re not required to spend in one shot to earn this bonus — the terms and conditions state that “qualifying purchases on all cards under a particular account (including the Basic card as well as any Additional or Employee cards) are combined for the purpose of calculating the amount of spending that counts towards the spend requirement for each tier.”
There doesn’t seem to be any pattern as to whom is targeted with this offer. Some folks who received it are close to their annual fee for the year, but others are not. How much you’ve used the card in the past doesn’t appear to have much effect either. Zach reports he hasn’t used his card in months, but others who received it say they use their Business Platinum regularly.
Are you one of the lucky ones? Let us know in the comments below.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees