Reflections and Celebrations From Nihi Sumba Island
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Even though we aren’t even half way through the year, it’s never too early to start planning for New Year’s Eve, which is probably my favorite holiday. It’s a celebration where you can look back and smile at everything you’ve done and with the other foot, step into a new year of adventures and excitement. 2016 was an amazing year and to cap it off, I decided to stay at Travel + Leisure’s number one hotel in the world, Nihi Sumba Island.
The hotel exceeded all my expectations — and I had no idea the staff would dress me up as a traditional Sumbanese warrior for the New Year’s celebrations. While some people may prefer the crowded beaches of Rio or Times Square, I actually loved having a low-key New Year’s celebration with lackluster, yet still festive fireworks — spending time with a unique group of people from all around the world and basking in the simple of beauty of Sumba, Indonesia.
Our butlers dressed us up like it was our wedding day and yes, the sword was real. (And no, I didn’t lose any limbs, but I did gain a ton of amazing memories.)
I ended the night with maybe one too many tequilas at owner Chris Burch’s private villa, which is at the center of Nihi Sumba Island. Meeting a ton of new friends in the process, the only problem was that it set 2017 up to be an epic year.
Now that we are six months into 2017, I can say that this year has already been pretty epic. I’ve seen the Northern Lights in Norway and relaxed on the beach in Koh Samui, just to name a few things. 2016 was an incredible year, but I have no doubts that the rest of 2017 will one-up what I’ve already experienced — this summer alone is bringing me to Guatemala, Ghana, Mexico, Greece and Botswana, among other places. Follow along with all my travel adventures on Instagram and Facebook.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees