Reflections and Celebrations From Nihi Sumba Island
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Even though we aren’t even half way through the year, it’s never too early to start planning for New Year’s Eve, which is probably my favorite holiday. It’s a celebration where you can look back and smile at everything you’ve done and with the other foot, step into a new year of adventures and excitement. 2016 was an amazing year and to cap it off, I decided to stay at Travel + Leisure’s number one hotel in the world, Nihi Sumba Island.
The hotel exceeded all my expectations — and I had no idea the staff would dress me up as a traditional Sumbanese warrior for the New Year’s celebrations. While some people may prefer the crowded beaches of Rio or Times Square, I actually loved having a low-key New Year’s celebration with lackluster, yet still festive fireworks — spending time with a unique group of people from all around the world and basking in the simple of beauty of Sumba, Indonesia.
Our butlers dressed us up like it was our wedding day and yes, the sword was real. (And no, I didn’t lose any limbs, but I did gain a ton of amazing memories.)
I ended the night with maybe one too many tequilas at owner Chris Burch’s private villa, which is at the center of Nihi Sumba Island. Meeting a ton of new friends in the process, the only problem was that it set 2017 up to be an epic year.
Now that we are six months into 2017, I can say that this year has already been pretty epic. I’ve seen the Northern Lights in Norway and relaxed on the beach in Koh Samui, just to name a few things. 2016 was an incredible year, but I have no doubts that the rest of 2017 will one-up what I’ve already experienced — this summer alone is bringing me to Guatemala, Ghana, Mexico, Greece and Botswana, among other places. Follow along with all my travel adventures on Instagram and Facebook.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.