BA’s Massive IT Meltdown Cost the Airline More Than $100 Million
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last month, British Airways experienced a massive meltdown — a worldwide IT outage, forcing it to cancel more than 700 flights. As it later turned out — after more than 75,000 passengers’ travel plans were affected — the outage was caused by a contractor inadvertently switching the power supply off. Now, we know the damage caused to BA, monetarily speaking.
According to Reuters, Willie Walsh, CEO of BA’s parent International Airlines Group (IAG), said at the company’s annual shareholders meeting in Madrid, Spain that the outage cost the company around £80 million, or $102 million. The £80 million figure is only an initial assessment, too, so the total could creep even higher.
Walsh said that the company is investigating what happened and also said that it wasn’t connected to BA’s cost-cutting efforts. Following the massive outage, BA also faced more setbacks today when a baggage system at London’s Heathrow (LHR) failed. As a result, thousands of passengers had to leave the airport without their checked bags during peak morning travel hours. IAG also owns Aer Lingus, Vueling, Iberia and LEVEL.
Featured image courtesy of Steve Parsons – PA Images via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees