This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last month, British Airways experienced a massive meltdown — a worldwide IT outage, forcing it to cancel more than 700 flights. As it later turned out — after more than 75,000 passengers’ travel plans were affected — the outage was caused by a contractor inadvertently switching the power supply off. Now, we know the damage caused to BA, monetarily speaking.
According to Reuters, Willie Walsh, CEO of BA’s parent International Airlines Group (IAG), said at the company’s annual shareholders meeting in Madrid, Spain that the outage cost the company around £80 million, or $102 million. The £80 million figure is only an initial assessment, too, so the total could creep even higher.
Walsh said that the company is investigating what happened and also said that it wasn’t connected to BA’s cost-cutting efforts. Following the massive outage, BA also faced more setbacks today when a baggage system at London’s Heathrow (LHR) failed. As a result, thousands of passengers had to leave the airport without their checked bags during peak morning travel hours. IAG also owns Aer Lingus, Vueling, Iberia and LEVEL.
Featured image courtesy of Steve Parsons – PA Images via Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees