BA’s Massive IT Meltdown Cost the Airline More Than $100 Million
Last month, British Airways experienced a massive meltdown — a worldwide IT outage, forcing it to cancel more than 700 flights. As it later turned out — after more than 75,000 passengers’ travel plans were affected — the outage was caused by a contractor inadvertently switching the power supply off. Now, we know the damage caused to BA, monetarily speaking.
According to Reuters, Willie Walsh, CEO of BA’s parent International Airlines Group (IAG), said at the company’s annual shareholders meeting in Madrid, Spain that the outage cost the company around £80 million, or $102 million. The £80 million figure is only an initial assessment, too, so the total could creep even higher.
Walsh said that the company is investigating what happened and also said that it wasn’t connected to BA’s cost-cutting efforts. Following the massive outage, BA also faced more setbacks today when a baggage system at London’s Heathrow (LHR) failed. As a result, thousands of passengers had to leave the airport without their checked bags during peak morning travel hours. IAG also owns Aer Lingus, Vueling, Iberia and LEVEL.
Featured image courtesy of Steve Parsons – PA Images via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.