An Awful Business-Class Flight, Win a Million Miles, LGA’s Traffic Nightmare and More
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Each Saturday, we round up news stories that you may have missed from the week before, including several that already appeared on The Points Guy, and some more that we haven’t covered yet. If you’re an avid TPG reader, scroll down for the new stuff. Here’s the top miles, points and travel news you may have missed this week:
TPG Editor-In-Chief Zach Honig had the (dis)pleasure of flying Air India’s business-class product on a recent flight from Delhi (DEL) to New York (JFK). Read all about why this was a horrible flight from start to finish.
Each of the Star Alliance’s 21 carriers are giving away a whopping 1,000,000 frequent flyer miles (though a few are giving away different prizes) to celebrate the alliance’s 20th birthday. Make sure you enter by July 31, 2017 to be considered in the contest.
There’s no way to put it lightly — LaGuardia airport is a disaster. The ongoing construction has created a traffic nightmare that’s making it much more difficult for travelers to get from the airport to the city.
If you have The Hyatt Credit Card from Chase, you’ll receive a free night certificate each year for any Category 1-4 property. If you play your cards right, you can get a tremendous amount of value from that certificate.
After speculation that the US would implement an electronics ban on US-bound flights from Europe, US and EU officials decided against it. This should be welcome news for business and leisure travelers alike.
American Airlines will be installing premium economy seats on four types of aircraft in its fleet between now and June 2018. Premium economy seats provide passengers a great option in between an ever-tightening coach cabin and a pricy business-class cabin.
Points and miles are a great way to travel in some of the world’s most incredible business and first-class products in the sky. But, for some, they’re also a great way to take several trips in coach. If that’s more up your alley, check out ways to maximize your American Express Membership Rewards points for economy awards.
Big changes are coming to American Airlines upgrade lists starting today. The upgrade order will now be based on how much you’ve spent with American Airlines in the last 12 months instead of the time of your request.
In other news…
Earn 500 Bonus United Miles For Spending $200
From now through May 26, 2017, you can earn 500 bonus MileagePlus miles when you spend $200 or more on United MileagePlus Shopping. You’ll earn these bonus points on top of the miles you’d already earn from making purchases through the portal.
Featured image of Bogotá, Colombia courtesy of Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.