An Awful Business-Class Flight, Win a Million Miles, LGA’s Traffic Nightmare and More
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Each Saturday, we round up news stories that you may have missed from the week before, including several that already appeared on The Points Guy, and some more that we haven’t covered yet. If you’re an avid TPG reader, scroll down for the new stuff. Here’s the top miles, points and travel news you may have missed this week:
TPG Editor-In-Chief Zach Honig had the (dis)pleasure of flying Air India’s business-class product on a recent flight from Delhi (DEL) to New York (JFK). Read all about why this was a horrible flight from start to finish.
Each of the Star Alliance’s 21 carriers are giving away a whopping 1,000,000 frequent flyer miles (though a few are giving away different prizes) to celebrate the alliance’s 20th birthday. Make sure you enter by July 31, 2017 to be considered in the contest.
There’s no way to put it lightly — LaGuardia airport is a disaster. The ongoing construction has created a traffic nightmare that’s making it much more difficult for travelers to get from the airport to the city.
If you have The Hyatt Credit Card from Chase, you’ll receive a free night certificate each year for any Category 1-4 property. If you play your cards right, you can get a tremendous amount of value from that certificate.
After speculation that the US would implement an electronics ban on US-bound flights from Europe, US and EU officials decided against it. This should be welcome news for business and leisure travelers alike.
American Airlines will be installing premium economy seats on four types of aircraft in its fleet between now and June 2018. Premium economy seats provide passengers a great option in between an ever-tightening coach cabin and a pricy business-class cabin.
Points and miles are a great way to travel in some of the world’s most incredible business and first-class products in the sky. But, for some, they’re also a great way to take several trips in coach. If that’s more up your alley, check out ways to maximize your American Express Membership Rewards points for economy awards.
Big changes are coming to American Airlines upgrade lists starting today. The upgrade order will now be based on how much you’ve spent with American Airlines in the last 12 months instead of the time of your request.
In other news…
Earn 500 Bonus United Miles For Spending $200
From now through May 26, 2017, you can earn 500 bonus MileagePlus miles when you spend $200 or more on United MileagePlus Shopping. You’ll earn these bonus points on top of the miles you’d already earn from making purchases through the portal.
Featured image of Bogotá, Colombia courtesy of Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees