Win One Million Miles With Any Star Alliance Carrier
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Star Alliance is celebrating it’s 20th anniversary in a big way. The airline alliance has announced that it will be giving away 21 million airline miles in a new contest.
Each of the 21 Star Alliance frequent flyer programs will be giving away one million miles (or an equivalent) in their respective programs. So United will give away one million MileagePlus miles, Avianca will give away one million LifeMiles, etc. Although, Scandinavian Airlines is giving away 4 SAS Round The World Business Class Tickets and Air New Zealand is giving away 20,000 Airpoints Dollars.
To enter the contest you must complete four steps;
- Use Star Alliance’s photo app to upload a picture of your favorite cultural experience and a picture of yourself
- Say where the photo was taken
- Explain what made the experience special
- Let Star Alliance know how they can reach you
It seems that the app will combine the picture of you and your favorite experience into one image that looks something likes this:
Contestants must enter by July 31, 2017 and the winners will be announced on September 28, 2017. You also must be a member of a Star Alliance frequent flyer program to be eligible to enter. You can sign up for Star Alliance programs here.
Once you’ve uploaded a photo you will be able to choose which program you would want to win miles in and you’ll then be prompted to enter your membership number.
Participants will be judged on the creativity of their submission and the effectiveness and originality in identifying, depicting and communicating the cultural experience.
The miles awarded are award miles and will not count towards any type of status. Although, you will be able to book flights on any Star Alliance carrier with the awarded miles. Unfortunately you may only enter the contest once, and not 21 times with every frequent flyer program.
You’ll want to refer to TPG’s monthly points and miles valuations to know what the best program is to credit your miles to. For example, one million Avianca LifeMiles would be worth $17,000 whereas one million United MileagePlus miles would be worth $15,000 based on May’s Valuations.
Note that you may be expected to pay taxes in connection with the miles you win, which could significantly impact the value. From the Terms and Conditions:
If you are a confirmed Winner, you shall be solely and exclusively responsible and liable for the payment of any and all taxes associated with your receipt of a Prize, and at such time as required by under the terms and conditions of your Eligible FFP and any other applicable laws. This shall include without limitation country, state, local taxes and VAT (and/or GST, where relevant) or any other fiscal charges, burdens or reporting obligations under any applicable law.
H/T: Mommy Points
Featured Image Courtesy of Tomás Del Coro via Flickr.
What would you book with one million miles?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.