Win One Million Miles With Any Star Alliance Carrier
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Star Alliance is celebrating it’s 20th anniversary in a big way. The airline alliance has announced that it will be giving away 21 million airline miles in a new contest.
Each of the 21 Star Alliance frequent flyer programs will be giving away one million miles (or an equivalent) in their respective programs. So United will give away one million MileagePlus miles, Avianca will give away one million LifeMiles, etc. Although, Scandinavian Airlines is giving away 4 SAS Round The World Business Class Tickets and Air New Zealand is giving away 20,000 Airpoints Dollars.
To enter the contest you must complete four steps;
- Use Star Alliance’s photo app to upload a picture of your favorite cultural experience and a picture of yourself
- Say where the photo was taken
- Explain what made the experience special
- Let Star Alliance know how they can reach you
It seems that the app will combine the picture of you and your favorite experience into one image that looks something likes this:
Contestants must enter by July 31, 2017 and the winners will be announced on September 28, 2017. You also must be a member of a Star Alliance frequent flyer program to be eligible to enter. You can sign up for Star Alliance programs here.
Once you’ve uploaded a photo you will be able to choose which program you would want to win miles in and you’ll then be prompted to enter your membership number.
Participants will be judged on the creativity of their submission and the effectiveness and originality in identifying, depicting and communicating the cultural experience.
The miles awarded are award miles and will not count towards any type of status. Although, you will be able to book flights on any Star Alliance carrier with the awarded miles. Unfortunately you may only enter the contest once, and not 21 times with every frequent flyer program.
You’ll want to refer to TPG’s monthly points and miles valuations to know what the best program is to credit your miles to. For example, one million Avianca LifeMiles would be worth $17,000 whereas one million United MileagePlus miles would be worth $15,000 based on May’s Valuations.
Note that you may be expected to pay taxes in connection with the miles you win, which could significantly impact the value. From the Terms and Conditions:
If you are a confirmed Winner, you shall be solely and exclusively responsible and liable for the payment of any and all taxes associated with your receipt of a Prize, and at such time as required by under the terms and conditions of your Eligible FFP and any other applicable laws. This shall include without limitation country, state, local taxes and VAT (and/or GST, where relevant) or any other fiscal charges, burdens or reporting obligations under any applicable law.
H/T: Mommy Points
Featured Image Courtesy of Tomás Del Coro via Flickr.
What would you book with one million miles?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees