This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
New Orleans is one of our favorite places on the planet, and in 2019, it’s going to get a big upgrade. The city’s Louis Armstrong International Airport (MSY) is undergoing a major renovation and expects the brand-new terminal to be open sometime in February. The almost $1 billion project is going to include some solid perks for travelers, but quite possibly the most exciting part to-date was just announced:
There’s going to be a Café du Monde right in the center of it. The catch? You’ll need to have a plane ticket, since it’s going to be past the new, consolidated security checkpoint.
What better way to take home a little bit of NOLA with you than some fried dough and powdered sugar? (That’s a rhetorical question.)
Other New Orleans staples you’ll find there include Ye Olde College Inn, PJ’s coffee, Emeril’s and MoPho, among plenty of others. While the restaurant selection is so good you could certainly just eat your way through the airport and be very happy about it, be sure to go out and explore the city and all of its amazing food, too.
Last and most certainly not least, the airport is also getting a Shake Shack (!!!). It’s going to be the first one in Louisiana. So if you find yourself at the airport anytime after next February, go get yourself the Shack Stack and a beignet — and thank us for the tip later.
*This post has been updated to reflect that the new terminal at MSY is a $1 billion project, not million.
Photo by Shutterstock.com
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards