This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
New Orleans is one of our favorite places on the planet, and in 2019, it’s going to get a big upgrade. The city’s Louis Armstrong International Airport (MSY) is undergoing a major renovation and expects the brand-new terminal to be open sometime in February. The almost $1 billion project is going to include some solid perks for travelers, but quite possibly the most exciting part to-date was just announced:
There’s going to be a Café du Monde right in the center of it. The catch? You’ll need to have a plane ticket, since it’s going to be past the new, consolidated security checkpoint.
What better way to take home a little bit of NOLA with you than some fried dough and powdered sugar? (That’s a rhetorical question.)
Other New Orleans staples you’ll find there include Ye Olde College Inn, PJ’s coffee, Emeril’s and MoPho, among plenty of others. While the restaurant selection is so good you could certainly just eat your way through the airport and be very happy about it, be sure to go out and explore the city and all of its amazing food, too.
Last and most certainly not least, the airport is also getting a Shake Shack (!!!). It’s going to be the first one in Louisiana. So if you find yourself at the airport anytime after next February, go get yourself the Shack Stack and a beignet — and thank us for the tip later.
*This post has been updated to reflect that the new terminal at MSY is a $1 billion project, not million.
Photo by Shutterstock.com
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees