This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Star Alliance partner Air China is launching its new flight between Houston and Panama today, April 5, allowing US passengers to fly to the Central American nation and back on a Chinese airline. The route is a continuation of the airline’s existing Beijing – Houston route, which currently flies five times weekly from Beijing’s Capital airport (PEK) to Houston Bush Intercontinental (IAH). The new route is an added segment to and from Panama City (PTY) twice a week, on Thursdays and Sundays.
Flying between two nations on an airline of a third country is a rare occurrence, known as a fifth-freedom route — in other words, a flight operated by a foreign carrier between two foreign countries as part of service connecting those points to the airline’s home country.
Air China says in a statement that the new link to Panama is “a natural extension of the 21st-Century Maritime Silk Road,” a reference to a modern-day version of the trade route that once connected China to Europe across Asia. The opening of the new route also follows recent free-trade negotiations between China and Panama, after the Central American country broke long-time diplomatic ties with Taiwan in 2017.
Air China also just opened a new direct flight between Los Angeles (LAX) and Shenzhen (SZX) in December 2017. Overall, Air China currently operates more than 200 weekly flights to 12 destinations within the Americas, including New York (Newark and JFK), Washington, Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Jose, Hawaii, Vancouver, Montreal, Havana and São Paulo.
The route is operated by a three-class Boeing 777-300ER with 8 first class, 42 business and 261 economy seats. Look for a review of the inaugural flight here on TPG later this week.
The flight schedule is as follows:
CA885 – Between Beijing and Houston on Thursdays and Sundays. All times are local.
- Departure from Beijing at 07:40am and arrival in Houston at 08:20am
- Departure from Houston at 10:50am and arrival in Panama City at 2:30pm
CA 886 – Between Houston and Panama City on Thursdays and Sundays. All times are local.
- Departing from Panama City at 4:30pm arriving in Houston at 8:15pm
- Departing from Houston at 01:00am the following day, and arriving in Beijing at 04:50am on the third day
Featured image of Air China Boeing 777-300ER y Wang Zhao/AFP/Getty Images
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees