This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Los Angeles-based flyers will soon have yet another option for nonstop flights to China, when Air China launches a route between LAX and Shenzhen (SZX). The new flight will begin on December 7, 2017 and will operate three times per week — on Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays — with the Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner.
The flights will operate with the following schedule:
- CA769 Shenzhen (SZX) 11:30pm Departure ⇒ Los Angeles (LAX) 8:00pm Arrival
- CA770 Los Angeles (LAX) 10:50pm Departure ⇒ Shenzhen (SZX) 5:40am (+2) Arrival
Air China‘s 787-9s have 30 lie-flat seats in business class, 34 recliner seats in premium economy in a 3-3-3 configuration and 229 economy seats, also in a 3-3-3 pattern. The business class cabin features the same type of seat that you’ll find on United’s Dreamliners. While the seats are fully lie-flat, the 2-2-2 configuration means that not every seat will have direct aisle access.
Shenzhen is located only about 20 miles from Hong Kong, which means that SZX could be another option to look at if you want to go to HK. Even better, there’s plenty of award availability for this new flight. Here’s a screenshot of availability for saver awards in economy and business class:
As a reminder, Air China is a Star Alliance partner, meaning you can redeem United miles for its flights. A one-way economy ticket will cost you 35,000 plus $5.60 in taxes and fees, while one way in business runs for 80,000 miles plus the same in taxes and fees. If you don’t have enough miles in your United account, remember that Chase Ultimate Rewards transfer to United MileagePlus at a 1:1 ratio. If you’d rather pay cash, a round-trip economy ticket will cost $477 with the outbound segment being the inaugural flight. That same flight costs $3,289 booked directly with Air China.
Is anyone planning to book Air China’s new flight between Los Angeles and Shenzhen?
Featured image by shunli zhao via Getty Images.
H/T: One Mile At a Time
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees