Wyndham bets on luxury with its first high-end brand
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Wyndham Hotels and Resorts has decided to throw its hat in the increasingly crowded ring of luxury hotel brands.
On Wednesday, the chain formally introduced its newest — and most upscale — brand: Registry Collection Hotels.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
As its name would suggest, this brand is a collection, meaning it will be comprised predominantly of independent hotels united under Wyndham’s quality standards and loyalty program.
The first Registry Collection hotel is the Grand Residences Riviera Cancun in Mexico, and other properties are in the pipeline, according to reporting from Skift. The brand’s first growth push will center largely around resort properties in the Caribbean and Latin America. However, according to a Skift interview with Leo Danese, vice president of operations at Registry Collection Hotels, the brand is “talking to owners in urban markets and internationally as well.”
Registry Collection’s growth will be slow and steady. The brand hopes to have between 20 and 25 properties open within the next five years. The lion’s share of these will come by way of absorbing existing properties into the collection and via new-build hotels.
The chain’s former top brand, Wyndham Grand, is thought more to sit at the higher end of the “upscale” segment, not a true luxury player to compete with the likes of the Park Hyatts, St. Regises and Waldorf Astorias of the world.
Skift reports, “Wyndham saw an opportunity to bring in a high-end brand and was working on its development for years.” But, the pandemic accelerated an increase in demand for high-end luxury properties, thanks in large part to already-affluent people saving extra money during the course of the health crisis.
As the Registry Collection grows, it will face steep competition from already-established collection brands from major players in the hotel business, including the Autograph and Luxury Collections from Marriott, Curio Collection and LXR Hotels and Resorts from Hilton, The Unbound Collection and JdV by Hyatt and more.
The Grand Residences Riviera Cancun is bookable today, with rooms starting from about $230 per night or 30,000 Wyndham Rewards points.
Featured photo courtesy of Wyndham
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees