Hyatt to grow its independent collection brands through 2025
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hyatt has detailed its plans to expand its so-called “independent collection brands” — the Unbound Collection by Hyatt, Destination by Hyatt and JdV by Hyatt — to more destinations around the globe, with new openings and developments slated through 2025.
Along with the expansion plans, two of the brands have gotten a new name. What was formerly Destination Hotels has become Destination by Hyatt and the former Joie de Vivre brand is now JdV by Hyatt.
Get the latest points, miles and travel news by signing up for TPG’s free daily newsletter.
According to a statement from Hyatt, its “independent collection brands encompass diverse properties, each true to its destination … Whether it’s a luxury hotel in The Unbound Collection by Hyatt brand with a rich history, a boutique JdV by Hyatt hotel inspired by its vibrant neighborhood or an immersive resort retreat within the Destination by Hyatt brand, each hotel delivers one-of-a-kind guest experiences for every occasion.”
The next few years are shaping up to be busy for this trio of brands, with 16 properties scheduled to open or join Hyatt this year and another eight coming online by 2025; all of them located in top destinations around the world, including Biarritz, France; Toronto, Canada; San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Beijing, China and more.
There are numerous openings scheduled for this year and beyond (you can see a full list here), but here are a few highlights we’re especially excited about:
Hôtel du Palais Biarritz, part of The Unbound Collection by Hyatt in Biarritz, France
This hotel, housed in a palace (no, really, this is the only hotel that’s officially designated as a palace on the Atlantic Coast of France), has undergone a complete restoration and renovation that revealed its 19th-century splendor in full. It’s scheduled to open at the end of March and will be open on a seasonal basis, meaning it will close again on Oct. 31, 2021, for the winter.
Mission Pacific Hotel, a JdV by Hyatt hotel in Oceanside, California
Located near San Diego, this boutique 161-room property will have the only rooftop bar and restaurant in town, affording spectacular views of the Pacific Coast. Lovers of the outdoors will feel right at home, as the property offers plenty of activities, including biking, skating and surfing. The property is scheduled to open in the spring of this year.
The Seabird Resort, a Destination by Hyatt hotel in Oceanside, California
The Seabird is the sister property to the Mission Pacific Hotel and will feature 226 guest rooms, a large pool area with an “indoor [and] outdoor living room,” a spa, a food program helmed by chef Kurtis Habecker and more. Like the Mission Pacific, Seabird is expected to open in the spring of this year.
Commune by the Great Wall, part of The Unbound Collection by Hyatt near Beijing, China
The Great Wall of China is one of the world’s most magnificent landmarks, and soon you’ll have the opportunity to use your World of Hyatt points to stay near the UNESCO World Heritage site. The Commune will be located “in a picturesque valley” and will have 175 rooms. Of course, its proximity to the Great Wall is perhaps its best amenity: It’s connected by a private path to a section of the Wall that hasn’t been restored, giving guests unforgettable access to this historical treasure away from the hoards of tourists. The hotel is on track to open in April 2021.
Sometimes, Hyatt’s independent collection properties get lost in the shuffle of the Andaz-es, Grand Hyatts and Park Hyatts of the world, but it’s clear Hyatt wants more people to pay attention to them. We’re certainly excited to see these properties open in the next several years, opening up new destinations and spectacular properties to travelers with points to spend.
Featured image courtesy of Hyatt
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees