This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Whole Foods will now offer loyalty discounts for Amazon Prime members, the premium grocery chain announced Wednesday.
The discounts — much anticipated since Amazon purchased Whole Foods in June 2017 for more than $13 billion — include an additional 10% off hundreds of sales items and other weekly specials, like $10 off per pound of wild caught halibut steaks, for example.
The Amazon Prime loyalty markdowns are currently available at Whole Foods locations in Florida and will begin rolling out nationwide this summer. The new discounts could make the Whole Foods, known for its high prices and luxe food offerings, as affordable as more mainstream grocers for subscribers to Amazon Prime, Morgan Stanley analysts tell Reuters.
In recent days, the anticipation of a new Amazon Prime loyalty program with the grocery chain intensified after the online retail behemoth announced in late April it would be ending Whole Foods’ in-house loyalty program effective May 1. After that date, only Amazon Prime members would enjoy loyalty perks while shopping at the gourmet grocery stores.
“Stay tuned — we’re cooking up something great with Amazon and can’t wait to tell you about it,” the company said in an email to Whole Foods loyalty members at the time.
Since Amazon’s June 2017 acquisition of Whole Foods, Prime members have enjoyed several perks at the grocer, including 5% cash back on Whole Foods purchases with the Chase Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Card and free two-hour delivery of their grocery orders.
Whole Foods is not Amazon’s only foray into the grocery game. Earlier this year, Amazon introduced its own brick-and-mortar grocery store in Seattle, called Amazon Go, that does not have any cashiers. Instead, the store uses the Amazon Go app, cameras and sensors to track your purchases and charge your Amazon account. The company just announced two additional Amazon Go locations coming to San Francisco and Chicago.
Amazon Prime has about 8 million subscribers. The service, which previously cost $99 per year for faster shipping and access to Amazon’s streaming video platform, was raised on May 11 to $119 per year for new members and renewed subscriptions.
Featured image by David Ryder/Getty Image.
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees