Amazon Is Ending Whole Foods’ Loyalty Program Next Month
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Whole Foods’ young loyalty program is being discontinued by its new owner, Amazon. After about just one year of existence, Whole Foods’ loyalty program will officially end as of May 1.
In an email to current Whole Foods loyalty members, the company detailed that you have until May 1 to redeem any unused rewards and digital coupons. As of that date, all unused discounts and rewards will expire. Plus, the online accounts of all members will be discontinued. As of May 2, only Amazon Prime members will have any kind of perks at Whole Foods.
“Stay tuned — we’re cooking up something great with Amazon and can’t wait to tell you about it,” the email to members said.
Since the Amazon-Whole Foods deal closed in 2017, the affects have been immediate. In addition to the grocer selling Amazon Echos in its stores on day one, the Chase Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Card announced that cardholders can earn up to 5% back on Whole Foods purchases.
The ending of the Whole Foods loyalty program isn’t a huge negative for Whole Foods shoppers. If anything, it made getting an Amazon Prime membership all the more valuable, as Prime members will likely get additional benefits at Whole Foods beginning May 2.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.