This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Whole Foods’ young loyalty program is being discontinued by its new owner, Amazon. After about just one year of existence, Whole Foods’ loyalty program will officially end as of May 1.
In an email to current Whole Foods loyalty members, the company detailed that you have until May 1 to redeem any unused rewards and digital coupons. As of that date, all unused discounts and rewards will expire. Plus, the online accounts of all members will be discontinued. As of May 2, only Amazon Prime members will have any kind of perks at Whole Foods.
“Stay tuned — we’re cooking up something great with Amazon and can’t wait to tell you about it,” the email to members said.
Since the Amazon-Whole Foods deal closed in 2017, the affects have been immediate. In addition to the grocer selling Amazon Echos in its stores on day one, the Chase Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Card announced that cardholders can earn up to 5% back on Whole Foods purchases.
The ending of the Whole Foods loyalty program isn’t a huge negative for Whole Foods shoppers. If anything, it made getting an Amazon Prime membership all the more valuable, as Prime members will likely get additional benefits at Whole Foods beginning May 2.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees