This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Whole Foods’ young loyalty program is being discontinued by its new owner, Amazon. After about just one year of existence, Whole Foods’ loyalty program will officially end as of May 1.
In an email to current Whole Foods loyalty members, the company detailed that you have until May 1 to redeem any unused rewards and digital coupons. As of that date, all unused discounts and rewards will expire. Plus, the online accounts of all members will be discontinued. As of May 2, only Amazon Prime members will have any kind of perks at Whole Foods.
“Stay tuned — we’re cooking up something great with Amazon and can’t wait to tell you about it,” the email to members said.
Since the Amazon-Whole Foods deal closed in 2017, the affects have been immediate. In addition to the grocer selling Amazon Echos in its stores on day one, the Chase Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Card announced that cardholders can earn up to 5% back on Whole Foods purchases.
The ending of the Whole Foods loyalty program isn’t a huge negative for Whole Foods shoppers. If anything, it made getting an Amazon Prime membership all the more valuable, as Prime members will likely get additional benefits at Whole Foods beginning May 2.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees