Amazon Is Ending Whole Foods’ Loyalty Program Next Month
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Whole Foods’ young loyalty program is being discontinued by its new owner, Amazon. After about just one year of existence, Whole Foods’ loyalty program will officially end as of May 1.
In an email to current Whole Foods loyalty members, the company detailed that you have until May 1 to redeem any unused rewards and digital coupons. As of that date, all unused discounts and rewards will expire. Plus, the online accounts of all members will be discontinued. As of May 2, only Amazon Prime members will have any kind of perks at Whole Foods.
“Stay tuned — we’re cooking up something great with Amazon and can’t wait to tell you about it,” the email to members said.
Since the Amazon-Whole Foods deal closed in 2017, the affects have been immediate. In addition to the grocer selling Amazon Echos in its stores on day one, the Chase Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Card announced that cardholders can earn up to 5% back on Whole Foods purchases.
The ending of the Whole Foods loyalty program isn’t a huge negative for Whole Foods shoppers. If anything, it made getting an Amazon Prime membership all the more valuable, as Prime members will likely get additional benefits at Whole Foods beginning May 2.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.