This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In January, Amazon opened its first Amazon Go store in Seattle, a cashier-less grocery store that representatives for Amazon refer to as “just walk out shopping.” Since then, the company has announced plans to open two more locations — Chicago and San Francisco.
Amazon confirmed via a spokesperson that these two cities are slated to become the newest locations for the experimental grocery stores. Amazon Go functions so that customers are not required to checkout before exiting. The stores use a combination of cameras and sensors to track customers and inventory as they walk through the store. Customers only need to open the Amazon Go app when they enter a store, and the items they take from the shelves will be automatically charged to their accounts when they leave.
Although there are no cashiers, the grocery store is armed with a bevy of humans who are constantly restocking shelves and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
It was first reported by The Seattle Times that Amazon had listed job postings for Amazon Go stores in Chicago and San Francisco. While it was confirmed that these two locations will be Amazon Go’s newest host cities, the spokesperson did not mention when they will be open to the public.
The location in Seattle is the first brick-and-mortar grocery store for Amazon Go. The Amazon Go store in Seattle doesn’t use any Whole Foods branding — Amazon bought Whole Foods in June 2017 — but it does carry the grocer’s signature 365 brand products.
Image by David Ryder via Getty Images
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees