Amazon Go Is Expanding to Two New Cities
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In January, Amazon opened its first Amazon Go store in Seattle, a cashier-less grocery store that representatives for Amazon refer to as “just walk out shopping.” Since then, the company has announced plans to open two more locations — Chicago and San Francisco.
Amazon confirmed via a spokesperson that these two cities are slated to become the newest locations for the experimental grocery stores. Amazon Go functions so that customers are not required to checkout before exiting. The stores use a combination of cameras and sensors to track customers and inventory as they walk through the store. Customers only need to open the Amazon Go app when they enter a store, and the items they take from the shelves will be automatically charged to their accounts when they leave.
Although there are no cashiers, the grocery store is armed with a bevy of humans who are constantly restocking shelves and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
It was first reported by The Seattle Times that Amazon had listed job postings for Amazon Go stores in Chicago and San Francisco. While it was confirmed that these two locations will be Amazon Go’s newest host cities, the spokesperson did not mention when they will be open to the public.
The location in Seattle is the first brick-and-mortar grocery store for Amazon Go. The Amazon Go store in Seattle doesn’t use any Whole Foods branding — Amazon bought Whole Foods in June 2017 — but it does carry the grocer’s signature 365 brand products.
Image by David Ryder via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees