WestJet plans first-ever nonstop route from Calgary to Rome
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
WestJet will be the first airline to connect Calgary to Rome in Italy, with new service on its fleet of Boeing 787s.
The carrier will begin thrice-weekly service between Calgary (YYC) and the Italian capital of Rome (FCO) from May 2 through the peak summer season, WestJet said Wednesday. It is the first time a carrier has offered regularly scheduled nonstop service on the route.
“WestJet’s continued international expansion from our home in Calgary reinforces our commitment to investing in the city as an international aviation hub,” WestJet CEO Ed Sims said in a statement.
The airline will fly its new Boeing 787-9 aircraft between Calgary and Rome. The jets feature 16 lie-flat business class seats, 28 premium economy seats, and 276 economy seats.
The new Rome flights are the latest addition to WestJet’s transatlantic expansion. The carrier will launch seasonal daily service between Vancouver (YVR) and London Gatwick (LGW) on April 26.
WestJet took delivery of its first 787 in January and began flying the aircraft on transatlantic flights in April. It had three 787s in its fleet at the end of September, and anticipates three more deliveries in 2020, the airline’s latest fleet plan shows.
While WestJet expands its transatlantic offerings with the arrival of new Dreamliners, it continues to wait on U.S. approval of its pending joint venture with Delta Air Lines. The partnership would allow the carriers to essentially act as a single carrier on flights between Canada and the U.S., coordinating everything from schedules to fares, and offering an improved experience to customers flying on joint itineraries.
One expected network change under the pact would be WestJet taking over some of Delta’s shorter routes to Canada currently flown by regional jets. For example, the Canadian carrier could take over flights between Calgary and Seattle (SEA), or Toronto (YYZ) and Cincinnati (CVG) with its De Havilland Canada Dash 8-400 turboprops.
Featured image by Nick Ellis/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees