This Airline’s First Dreamliner Delivery Means More Lie-Flats From North America to Europe
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For those hoping to grab a seat on Boeing’s longest-range Dreamliner, you’ll soon have another option: WestJet. Boeing just delivered the first of 10 incoming Dreamliners to the airline’s hometown of Calgary, with the 787-9 configured with 320 seats across economy, premium and business cabins. The first Dreamliner will fly guests domestically on Toronto (YYZ)/Calgary (YYC) routes starting Feb. 20 to assist with crew familiarization before the first international service from Calgary to London–Gatwick (LGW) on April 28.
WestJet’s trumpeting the aircraft’s “turbulence-dampening technology, improved air quality to reduce jetlag and larger windows that give an increased sense of space,” and we’re particularly excited to see its first-ever business class product hit the skies.
The business-class cabin is composed of 16 lie-flat seats in a preferable 1-2-1 configuration, offering every passenger direct aisle access, while WestJet Premium will offer seats in a 2x3x2 configuration. Per WestJet, the Premium cabin will boast “an elevated guest experience with a separate and private cabin, cozy blankets and pillows available on every seat along with a self-serve social area.”
Adding the Dreamliner to its fleet may make WestJet a lot more alluring than it has been in the past, and you’d be wise to brush up on the airline’s newly revamped reward tiers. Keep in mind that Delta and WestJet created a “comprehensive transborder joint venture arrangement” last year, so it’s possible that Delta loyalists could creatively route overseas in order to earn qualifying miles/spend while planted in a Dreamliner.
The second and third WestJet Dreamliners are currently on the production line at Boeing’s factory and will be delivered in February and March to coincide with the start of Calgary-Paris and Calgary-Dublin services, respectively.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter here!
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees