This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Maldives is one of the most popular destinations for points and miles enthusiasts. With round-trip flights from the United States to Male rarely going for less than $1,000 in coach and hotels for $600 per night, the Maldives is the perfect place to use your points and miles.
So, when Hilton announced what is arguably the chain’s most ambitious property ever, the Waldorf Astoria Maldives Itaafushi, would be bookable with Hilton Honors points, members were understandably excited. However, that excitement was quickly met with disappointment when it appeared that the property pulled standard award rates from its website only a week later.
Thankfully, the Waldorf Astoria Maldives Itaafushi can once again be booked using points. In a statement from Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi Reservations Manager Afrah Abdulla to TPG, Abdulla says the outage was a “technical error” in the booking system that has been rectified as of Feb. 24.
Just over 24 hours since the hotel’s website stopped listing standard room rewards, a quick search shows that rates are once again available:
Available rates for mid-July 2019 (image via Hilton.com):
If you’re lucky enough to have 120,000 Hilton Honors points in your account, you can head over to Hilton’s website and book the Waldorf Astoria Maldives Itaafushi in a matter of minutes. If you, like many travelers, have not yet amassed 120,000 points, now is the perfect time to start planning for your dream trip to one of the most luxurious hotels opening this year.
Thanks to the Hilton Honors Aspire Card from American Express, you can earn a whopping 150,000 Hilton Honors points after qualifying spend. That’s enough points for a night at the Waldorf Astoria Maldives plus, you’d still have 30,000 miles left over that you could put towards a second night at the hotel using Hilton’s cash and points feature.
Getting to the Maldives
Half of the appeal of the Maldives comes from its geographic isolation, which makes getting to Male (MLE) and on to the hotel a bit of a challenge. Be sure to check out this guide for ideas on how to cover your flights to the Maldives with credit card points and airline miles. Keep in mind too that once you get there, you’ll almost certainly have to pay an additional fee for a seaplane or speedboat transfer from Male to the hotel. Make sure to pay attention to the transfer fee, as it can range from ~$100 to almost $700 per person.
Featured image courtesy of Hilton.com
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees