We’re Back: Waldorf Astoria Maldives Once Again Bookable With Hilton Honors Points
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Maldives is one of the most popular destinations for points and miles enthusiasts. With round-trip flights from the United States to Male rarely going for less than $1,000 in coach and hotels for $600 per night, the Maldives is the perfect place to use your points and miles.
So, when Hilton announced what is arguably the chain’s most ambitious property ever, the Waldorf Astoria Maldives Itaafushi, would be bookable with Hilton Honors points, members were understandably excited. However, that excitement was quickly met with disappointment when it appeared that the property pulled standard award rates from its website only a week later.
Thankfully, the Waldorf Astoria Maldives Itaafushi can once again be booked using points. In a statement from Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi Reservations Manager Afrah Abdulla to TPG, Abdulla says the outage was a “technical error” in the booking system that has been rectified as of Feb. 24.
Just over 24 hours since the hotel’s website stopped listing standard room rewards, a quick search shows that rates are once again available:
Available rates for mid-July 2019 (image via Hilton.com):
If you’re lucky enough to have 120,000 Hilton Honors points in your account, you can head over to Hilton’s website and book the Waldorf Astoria Maldives Itaafushi in a matter of minutes. If you, like many travelers, have not yet amassed 120,000 points, now is the perfect time to start planning for your dream trip to one of the most luxurious hotels opening this year.
Thanks to the Hilton Honors Aspire Card from American Express, you can earn a whopping 150,000 Hilton Honors points after qualifying spend. That’s enough points for a night at the Waldorf Astoria Maldives plus, you’d still have 30,000 miles left over that you could put towards a second night at the hotel using Hilton’s cash and points feature.
Getting to the Maldives
Half of the appeal of the Maldives comes from its geographic isolation, which makes getting to Male (MLE) and on to the hotel a bit of a challenge. Be sure to check out this guide for ideas on how to cover your flights to the Maldives with credit card points and airline miles. Keep in mind too that once you get there, you’ll almost certainly have to pay an additional fee for a seaplane or speedboat transfer from Male to the hotel. Make sure to pay attention to the transfer fee, as it can range from ~$100 to almost $700 per person.
Featured image courtesy of Hilton.com
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.